Infertility

Clicky poll: How much would you spend OOP?

In light of mdluv's poll, I'm curious....

I'm lucky enough to have fertility insurance coverage (for now), but if not, DH and I have talked about how much we would spend.  (My number is higher than his, so we still have some more discussing to do if it comes to that.) 

Counting diagnostics, testing, treatments, etc., how much would you be willing to spend to get a baby given your current financial situtation?... you know assuming you don't receive a large inheritance or win the lottery.

Obviously, we are all hoping our current or next cycle is the lucky one, but above what you've already paid, how far would you go?

[Poll]

TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
**P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Clicky poll: How much would you spend OOP?

• I don't count the copays that add up to a few hundred dollars for a cycle, but for me the max is $10k. Anything more than that and we might as well adopt. At least with adoption I'll have a better chance of a take home baby.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• We've already spent 25k-ish, we would probably max out at 50-60k.  It would mean stopping and saving after each failed cycle because we won't go into debt for treatment.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageYellow_Daisy:
    We've already spent 25k-ish, we would probably max out at 50-60k.  It would mean stopping and saving after each failed cycle because we won't go into debt for treatment.

DH & I agree about not going into debt for it.  I hope you don't have to spend anymore.  GL when you get your beta results tomorrow.

TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageillinigal:

imageYellow_Daisy:
    We've already spent 25k-ish, we would probably max out at 50-60k.  It would mean stopping and saving after each failed cycle because we won't go into debt for treatment.

DH & I agree about not going into debt for it.  I hope you don't have to spend anymore.  GL when you get your beta results tomorrow.

Thanks sweetie!  I hope so too :-).

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I answered the same dollar amount in both polls because if this cycle of IVF doesn't work, we are done and moving to adoption.  Of course, those costs would increase our total, but we won't be spending anymore towards me getting pg.
    Todd & Kristin, 3.10.07

After 5.5 years of loss, heartbreak, and empty arms, our dreams were fulfilled through the beautiful, selfless gift of adoption. We are amazingly blessed!

Blog About Us | Blog About RPL/IF/Adoption

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  •  I picked $25k-$50k but it's more than just money. I have friends and family that have tried for 10 years and I just don't think I could do that even if it was under a certain amount of money. The emotions tied into all of this are so much more complex then just stopping when we reach a certain amount of money. I have a feeling we would stop way before that.
    Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In 4+ years we spent around $70K.  About $55 of that was in 2009 when we did 3 IVFs and a FET.  We did have some financial assistance from family.  We have 5 frozen PGD normal blasts so future fertility treatments will be limited to FETs, which will be about $7K each. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I said $5,000-$10,000

Like some others have said, my reason for having the number so low is that I just don't think I am strong enough to try over and over with so many losses. I read on here what some of these brave ladies have been through and I just don't think I could do it or that I would like the person I would become if I did. I have spent the last few days crying about the "loss" of learning that one tube is blocked and the other probably damaged. I didn't think it would hit me that hard but I feel betrayed by my body and "broken". I think I would feel the same after every failed treatment. We will probably try a few rounds of meds and/or IUIs if the RE thinks it would help (ie if it turns out that my one tube is functioning and that DH's SA is fine). And we have discussed and MAY try 1 round of IVF internationally (in Panama for example) where it is substantially chepaer. But I would only do that because DH is so passionate about having a biological child. I am just fine with adopting and have been since long before I faced IF issues. But if I can give DH a bio child I would love to do that for him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    History of IF and 2.5 years TTC. The day we were to start our first IUI we received a call that changed our lives forever and 10 month old Olivia joined our family. Shortly thereafter we got a surprise BFP and baby 2 is due July 5, 2012

• We've already spent about $15K and are about to pay another $18K for the guaranteed IVF program.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"