1st Trimester
Options

caffeine use

Good morning! How many of you are completely cutting out your diet coke? I know coffee has a lot more caffeine than diet coke (or any soda) for that matter... I mentioned something to my mother (who was a nurse manager of an OB floor for 15 years) about drinking soda when I'm out, and she said "of course you can have 1 or 2. Just don't have 10." When I'm at home, I definitely drink caffeine free, but when I'm out, nothing tastes better with dinner than Diet Coke! Am I crazy for having 1 or 2?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: caffeine use

• Options

Well I am not cutting out caffeine, I'm still having my morning cup of coffee (I don't drink soda), assuming I can get it down...

Here's a site that will help you w/ caffeine levels. I think it's something like 200 mg/day of caffeine- so you should be fine w/ 1-2 of your soda.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't cut out caffeine during pregnancy. I'd be more concerned about the artificial sweetener in Diet Coke (although I have that in moderation, too).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I stopped drinking atrificial sweetener about a year ago because of the increased "association" with certain cancers and alzheimers.  But I have a regular coke about 2-3 times a week, and green tea daily.  I'm nowhere near exceeding my limits and it keeps my headaches at bay and I feel less sluggish.
  • Options
    I didnt cut out caffeine, but I cut out diet soda. I go for a regular coke if I want one instead of diet. Less chemicals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Im trying to limit my coffee.As in, 1/2 cup decaf if needed in the am. I'm not doing diet soda. We went out to eat the other day & I had a ginger ale to still give me the bubbly taste with no caffeine. Its not easy, but its part of what we sacrifice for our children. I guess if I really crave a coke, I'll splurge, but it hasn't mattered that much yet.

Good Luck. 

• Options
    imageiheartcutepuppies:

Well I am not cutting out caffeine, I'm still having my morning cup of coffee (I don't drink soda), assuming I can get it down...

Here's a site that will help you w/ caffeine levels. I think it's something like 200 mg/day of caffeine- so you should be fine w/ 1-2 of your soda.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211 

Really helpful site, thanks!  The first few weeks I cut out caffeine entirely, but for the last week or so I've had a cup of caffeinated tea in the morning. I'm trying to avoid soda in general just because it's not healthy, but I have been drinking ginger ale to settle my stomach. 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

I cut out diet coke because diet coke sucks.  I cut it out 30 years ago :)

I have maybe a soda a day max but that's not really a cut for me.  I don't generally drink that much.  I see nothing wrong with 1-2.

• Options

I was a total diet pepsi addict (2-3 a day) and coffee addict (2-3 a day). I've replaced diet pop with normal pepsi or full-sugar caffiene free pop (gingerale etc) and cut it down to 2-3 pepsis a week and 2 half cups of coffee a week.

I'm far more concerned about artifical sweetners than a little caffiene (200mg a day is safe)

https://drleonardcoldwell.com/2010/08/01/how-aspartame-kills-the-fetus-maims-babies/

Sure there's lots out there that says it's safe too, but cutting calories isn't enough of a concern to me at this point that I would risk it.

• Options
    I cut out all caffeine (except some chocolate here and there).  My Dr said if I really needed it one day I could have some, but to try and cut it out.
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    i just cut it completely when i got my bfp on wednesday. caffeine in general never had much effect on me to begin with, and i never drank that much. i definitely feel more sluggish, but that could be part of the normal syptoms of pg. congrats and a h&h 9months to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • Options

imagecvl105:
    I cut out all caffeine (except some chocolate here and there).  My Dr said if I really needed it one day I could have some, but to try and cut it out.

This ...exactly! 

• Options
    I've cut out caffeine and aspartame, so that leaves not much to chose from, other than ginger ale, sprite, root beer and sierra mist. I am already so over all of those!! I thought I would die w/out it because I SAH and chase my 20 month old, but so far it hasn't been so bad. I thought I would give in and get Starbucks but the thought of it makes me ill. I say you are fine to have 1 soda a day. I will be indulging once in a while when I am out of first tri. I've been craving a regular ice cold coke so bad!
  • Options

My doctor also said that 1-2 servings of caffeine per day was fine. Ditto aspartame, which seemed to be the larger issue for her.

I have had friends who decided to eliminate caffeine entirely because cutting back sounded harder than stopping, but that will depend a lot on how much you normally drink. 

• Options
    I have my one cup of home brewed, kind-of-weak coffee every morning. I love it. It makes me feel normal, like regular life. After some reading I did switch to regular sugar from splenda and I don't think I'll go back.
  • Options
    I switched to half-caff coffee when TTC, and to curb my caffeine addiction anyway. I always have one big mug full on the morning which equals out to about 3 actual cups of coffee. Now that I'm using half-caff, I say I have about 1 1/2 regular cups of coffee daily. I don't drink coke/diet coke/ any other caffeinated beverages so I'm not concerned at all. I drank that much with DS too.
  • Options

There are a ton of conflicting studies about caffeine and the effects on pregnancy...for example:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In one study, in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Kaiser Permanente researchers analyzed information about caffeine drinking by 1,063 women early in their pregnancies.

Women who reported drinking less than 200 milligrams of caffeine per day (about two cups of regular coffee or five cans of caffeinated soda) were 40% more likely to miscarry than women who said they drank no caffeinated beverages. Those who drank 200 milligrams or more of caffeine per day had about twice the miscarriage risk as women who drank none.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing is certain, caffeine crosses the placenta and a baby can't metabolize it.  Although March of Dimes and other places say 200 mg is fine, I figure....why bother risking it?  I can do without coffee, soda and chocolate easy.  Totally worth it in the long run.  Just my 2 cents

• Options
    imagekristennd:

My doctor also said that 1-2 servings of caffeine per day was fine. Ditto aspartame, which seemed to be the larger issue for her.

My OB had the same opinion. He suggested alternating between regular sugar and artificial sweeteners, so I use sugar in my morning coffee & drink a diet Coke with lunch.

• Options
    I'd avoid artificial sweeteners (and do); I cut them out after reading up on them a few years back, so that has nothing to do w/pregnancy, but is just my personal lifestyle choice. I am not a caffeine addict, but have nearly eliminated it since getting pregnant. I've had 2 sodas in the past few weeks and several cups of decaf coffee and decaf tea (these still have some caffeine, but much less than their regular counterparts). I still haven't been to my doctor so I don't know what her opinion will be on the subject.
  • Options
    I cut and all soda ever since we started TTC - and caffeine as well. It's a small sacrifice for the peace of mind that all of the chemicals in the soda products aren't going to have the chance to affect my baby in any way. Everyone has differing opinions on this subject.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    After speaking with my doctor's office I have limited my intake of caffeine. I use to have 2 to 3 cups during the day at work and now I limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning. It's so cold in my office that I bought hot chocolate (99.9% caffeine free) to drink when I need something warm to sip on so that I'm not tempted to fill up on coffee. I think moderation is the key!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"