VBAC

What are you doing in preparation?

Jb&JbJb&Jb member

Besides arming yourself with knowledge of course.  I've been maintaining my workout routine trying to stay in the best shape possible, reading pretty much everything I can get my hands on, got a hold of my old medical records from my CS as suggested below and went over them with my new doctor (and found out my CS was probably unnecessary), ordered some EPO by suggestion of my doctor to start using at 35 weeks, and will be going to see a chiropractor who specializes in pregnant patients (again by suggestion of my doctor) to examine my hips.  My doctor admits he has no idea whether EPO or chiropractic techniques will do anything but says it's worth a shot.

After my appointment yesterday and some positive discussion with my doctor about avoiding intervention and the slippery slope that follows (he believes avoiding the epi is the best way to go) I've decided that I need to give unmedicated birth my best effort, but I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to go through with it knowing that pain medication is available when I'm in the throes of contractions (my contractions were so painful at 4cm with DD that I can't imagine it getting worse).  I really have no idea where to begin looking for ways to manage pain on my own.  I looked a little bit at hypnobirthing but it seemed a little too "channel your inner goddess" for me, and I read a bit about bradley but it said the classes are 12weeks and I don't have that long (and didnt see an instructor in my city anyway).  The classes at the hospital are pointless really.  Any suggestions?

ETA:  any special exercises such as sitting on a birthing ball, etc?  i'm looking for ANYTHING you're doing in preparation!!

Re: What are you doing in preparation?

• I'm taking prenatal yoga classes, something a neighbor who had a natural birth said was key to her prep.  I'm seeing a chiro that specializes in Websters technique, already have the name of a cranio-sacral therapist in case baby doesn't turn near the end (yeah, totally thinking ahead!), have my doula & doctor in line (switched providers for this one), read hypnobabies & bradley books (I won't be taking a class), plan on going to a free talk about labor options next week, try to remember to practice breathing and relaxation techniques, etc.  I've been bad on the exercising front.  I really need to pick that up again!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Were you induced your first time? Because if you were, that could have made the contractions a lot harder. So if you go into labor on your own, the contractions might be easier to deal with overall.

I made sure to stay active for my second pregnancy (biking, swimming), and got regular chiropractic care - I also got massages through my chiropractor's office, and she did accupuncture the last week I was pg (got it three times in a row, the last being the night before I went into labor - but I was really overdue at that point, so who knows if it's what triggered it!). I was also really into figuring out how DS2 was lying (DS1 was posterior, which is what caused my c-section), so maybe talk to your doctor about positioning in a few weeks when he can start palpating? www.spinningbabies.com is a good site if you haven't been there before.

The biggest thing that helped me prepare for my first son's labor was doing prenatal yoga - it helped me remember to focus on breathing during contractions, and different positions that helped, and even to vocalize when things got harder. If you have Netflix, there's a streaming prenatal yoga video that might be good (I haven't watched it myself). And maybe reading birth stories of other VBACs would help? ICAN had a ton of birth stories in April - they're archived here: https://blog.ican-online.org/tag/cam/

hth and good luck, it sounds like you're doing everything you can!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • I wasn't induced...i went into labor on my own at 41w0d.  I had (and my new doctor backs me up on this) an over eager doctor that managed to section me after less than 12 hours of labor for failure to progress at 6cm and nonreassuring fetal heart tones, and it just so happens that my baby was delivered at 7:43 and his practiced opened across the hospital at 8:00.  My new doctor let me know that my old doctor has a bit of a reputation within the practice without going so far as to bad mouth him.

I just scheduled my first chiro visit with a Dr. that carries roughly a 50% pregnant patient load.  She is going to look at my hip alignment. They offer prenatal massage as well which I will be taking advantage of.  After talking to her receptionist I realized that the chiro care is covered by my insurance which is fantastic.  

I go for an ultrasound in two weeks (34.5w) and will get an idea of babies position.  I had one at 30 weeks and he was head down at the time, but I don't know about the other orientations.  This chiro is known for techniques that help change babies positions. 

I suppose I need to get into some prenatal yoga.  my hospital offers a class but it's CLEAR across town, and the second location is even further.  

My biggest concern at this point is pain management.  I keep telling myself I CAN do it, but i couldn't the first time.  Its to easy to take the epi when you know it's there.  I need to learn techniques to cope!

• the biggest thing i did was take better care of my body and surround myself with positive thoughts and people.i chose my birth team very carefully so as to ensure the most positive vibes for my birth.

i ate well

i walked and swam several times a week

i saw a chiropractor monthly, then bi-monthly, then weekly (1st, 2nd, then 3rd tri)

i saw a masseuse monthly, then bi-monthly, then weekly (1st, 2nd, then 3rd tri)

i got acupuncture bi-monthly, then weekly (third tri)

i saw a hypnotherapist to resolve any residual anxiety from c/s birth and fears from vbac

i studied hypnobirthing

i did extensive birth imagery exercises and communicating with baby the way i wanted her to come out

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • On top of almost two years of reading, researching, etc...

• Monthly local ICAN meetings 
    • Hired a doula
    • Joined a midwife hospital practice (preparing for a waterbirth)
    • Prenatal yoga classes
    • Birthing ball multiple times a day (started at 32 weeks)
    • Healthy eating
    • Prenatal chiropractor (started at 34 weeks, Webster's for optimal positioning)
    • Prenatal massage (started at 34 weeks for overall discomfort)
    • Walking, walking walking (entire pregnancy)
    • Birth videos (HBACs, hospital VBACs, waterbirth VBACs, etc)
    • Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, 2-3 cups/day (started at 34 weeks)
    • EPO orally 3x/day (started at 36 weeks)

Of all of this, I think the most helpful resource has been the girls at my ICAN meetings.  If not for them, I would not have known about most of the items in my regimen!  Please join your local group if there's one near you.

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"