Natural Birth
Options

Ketones in urine?

I just had an appointment w. my midwife and she said there were some ketones in my urine.  Also some blood and protein (I had blood Oct. 1st, but she said it was getting higher, but first time for protein this pregnancy so far). 

Anyways, has anybody had ketones and had it be nothing?  I did just have a 24 hour bug this Tuesday where I couldn't keep down food/water, so she mentioned that it could be leftover from that (since they can result from starvation).  Of course my biggest concern though is GD, but I don't want to get ahead of myself either. 

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ketones in urine?

• Options
    I'd bet your midwife is right and they are a result of your bug.  Ketones just mean (basically) that your body is burning its own fat because you haven't been giving it enough calories.  They do test for it in GD patients after diagnosis to make sure we're not starving ourselves (since over a long period of time ketones can be harmful), but I don't think ketones in your urine alone means anything on that front.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had ketones in my urine at one of my appts last pregnancy.  It was just because I'd had a really busy day and couldn't eat much before the appt.  It only happened that one time.  It's probably just from your stomach bug--try not too worry too much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I get ketones in my urine whenever I stop eating sugar and crap carbs.   When I was pregnant, I ate much better (mostly veggies, dairy and lean proteins) and I had them regularly.  My midwife says that's pretty common and not a problem.  I wasn't trying to go low-carb, but carbs really bothered my tummy...

https://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

• Options

Thanks, it does help put my mind at ease! 

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had ketones last week b/c I didn't eat/drink enough that day. The month before that I had WBC b/c I had a cold.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options
    I had ketones in my urine at my first prenatal appointment and everything is fine.  It's probably from the bug you had.  Make sure you are getting enough to eat!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Ditto what everyone said.  Likely just an aftereffect of the stomach bug.  Just eat and drink well :)

Also, if you did have GD, you'd be seeing ketones (maybe) AND glucose.  Body burns fat and proteins to produce ketones, glucose for energy that should be getting into bodily cells isn't, thus building up in the bloodstream and getting excreted out.

And there's our geek moment for the evening.

• Options
    I appreciate your geek moment!  Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"