Birth Stories
Options

My casual labor story

Labor was definitely much easier/less scary than I had anticipated. My forebag of water broke 8:30 the morning of my due date and I was oddly calm. I showered, blow dried my hair, ate breakfast, got ready, etc and went into L&D at 10:30. I got my own room (they were a bit backed up) by 12:30 and they started pitocin around 3 (I was 2 cm). Contractions started at around 4:30. I loved that the people closest to us were there (8 people hung in for the long hall) and we laughed and talked and even watched Big Brother while I had contractions. I got my epi around 7 (I was 4 cm) which scared me so bad I was shaking but it wasn't bad once it was over.  

My real water broke and I'll never forget it, I said "OH GROSS!!" and kicked everyone out of the room while they cleaned me up. It felt like a hot water balloon breaking in my crotch. I felt it even with my epi, I felt the catheter too which is where I felt the rest of my contractions. They upped my Epi which helped a little but I still think I felt a lot.

Things went quickly then and after an hour and a half of pushing my gorgeous son was born, 8lbs 4 ounces. My temperature spiked so high and so fast within the last 15 minutes of pushing that they were worried about infection so DH had to go into the NICU for the first 24 hrs so he could have antibiotics. Then his billirubin levels were borderline too high so he had to stay under the billi lights in our room for 24 hours.

Over all I have very positive memories of labor. I really wish I could go back and tell myself to BREATH (I think I would have gone faster but my pushes weren't as effective as they could have been since I sucked so bad at breathing. All I wanted to do was PUSH, I didn't take a single break.) And I wish that I had looked down there while he was coming out. I was so afraid it would 'hurt more' if I looked but I really regret it. My DH, mom and best friend kept saying how much HAIR he had and I thought they were full of sh!t but then when they put him on my chest I said 'holy crap, he really does have a TON of hair!!" LOL

I'm actually looking forward to the birth of our second, does that make me crazy? Angel

Re: My casual labor story

• Options

I remember when I had DS#1 I wanted nothing to do with looking down there - when he was coming out. I thought that it would scare me out of pushing. But now that birth of DS#2 is coming up, I think that I want to look. It does almost feel like you are missing out on something that you can't ever recreate!

Oh and you have an adorable little boy!!!

• Options
    He's adorable. Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"