Adoption
Options

question about IA and seeing a therapist

I had set up an appt with a therapist for next week at my mom's work (she manages a Christian Counseling Center) and it dawned on me that even though I don't believe I would be dx with depression, if by chance anything like that went into my medical records it could hurt our chances of adoption internationally in the future.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Or have any knowledge to share.

I TRULY do not believe I am experiencing any type of depression. I simply am having a hard time processing how yet again we are having such a miserable time growing our family and would like to talk to someone about it.

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image

Re: question about IA and seeing a therapist

• Options

Hey MayDay!  I checked into this for the exact same reason before I started counseling after my miscarriage.  It's my understanding that counseling for infertility, grief or adoption is handled differently than general counseling/therapy for depression. 

Here's a link to Children's Home Society's international adoption chart.  Some countries do list that in cases of depression, it's on a case by case basis.  My therapist made a point to tell me - everyone gets sad sometimes and needs some help.  Grieving over the family you thought you would have and the challenges you are facing does not = depression.

https://www.chsfs.org/sites/default/files/attachments/USA_Chart.pdf

• Options
    We are adopting from korea. They (the country, not nesessarily our agency) would be okay with counseling or antidepressants for IF or a family death, but not much else. You might want to look into the country you are adopting from and see if they have any restrictions. Or talk to your agency. Best wishes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you don't feel as though you're suffering from depression, could this possibly be what therapists might diagnose as an "Adjustment disorder" which is basically where you're having difficulty adjusting to *something* 
  • Options

I am a lurker, but I had to write to thank you for posting this.  I have been thinking of going to speak with a therapist, for similar reasons, but have been avoiding it for fear of rejection for adoption.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"