Babies on the Brain
Options

How much to budget for a baby???

Do you all have breakdowns on how expensive a baby is?  How much do you or are you allotting for formula, clothes, medical expenses, day care?  Trying to get a handle on how much that will actually be... thanks!

Re: How much to budget for a baby???

• Options
    What I pay in TN is different from what Wee pays in NY and that is different from what someone pays in Cali.  It is going to vary from family to family and area. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Check out this. It's pretty helpful. You'll have to research daycare cost in your area though, it can vary greatly.

www.babycenter.com/babyCostCalculator.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageweelass24:

That's funny right there!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Can't wait to meet baby Liam Paul!
    imageimage
    My photo blog Baby Makes Three
  • Options
    $56,4895,6,34.xk
    2 girls and a dog
  • Options

there is no set budget.   Different areas have different costs of living.  Depends on if you buy stuff new (and how pricey?) or if you pick up used stuff from craigs list or something.   It all depends on you.

we bought all new, but got a few things from the Ellen show (like our stroller and carseat), so that helped.   Daycare is by far our biggest expense at around $1300 per month.     It drops a little when she turns 2, but that will be the same time baby #2 will be starting so we'll then be paying $2k per month.

Copays for all those unexpected doctor visits (especially last spring during cold/flu season when she caught everything) add up quickly too.  Not to mention the time off work.   I went through a ton of PTO time last spring with her.

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • Options

imageweelass24:

I love that the first site that comes up is for teen moms.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMsEmma1980:
    Do you all have breakdowns on how expensive a baby is?  How much do you or are you allotting for formula, clothes, medical expenses, day care?  Trying to get a handle on how much that will actually be... thanks!

Lets see: We met out out of pocket maximum for medical this year for 5K for medical but we don't have to pay any more this year.

Clothes are what you make of it.

Daycare is about 750/mo.  I think we live in a cheaper area for that though.

Formula is running us nearly 800/month.  We are blessed in that department.

Diapers and wipes 50/60 a month.

We easily spend another 50-100 a month or more on other random crap 

This obviously doesn't include any of the stuff we bought at the beginning. 

• Options

Like others said, it depends on a lot of factors.  Childcare  will likely be your biggest expense.  A large daycare center is more expensive than an in home daycare, or a family member.  Are you going to formula feed, or breastfeed (keeping in mind you may not be able to breastfeed)?  You may be lucky and be able to use a cheaper formula, or not so lucky like Lambie and spend $800 a month.  Cloth diaper or disposable?  Buy clothes new from expensive stores, or get gently used from consignment, yard sales, and Craigslist?  What kind of health insurance do you have?  Currently we just pay a copay, but starting in January, we will have to meet a $2500 deductible before anything except well baby visits are covered. 

Obviously people have babies and survive on different budgets.  You have to figure out how much you can afford monthly, and then choose the appropriate options.  

• Options

We have $1500/ year out of pocket for health insurance, plus the additional cost per month of having the boys on my insurance

I bf, but do need to suppliment with formula so we pay about $40/month for that

Clothing really depends.  Luke wears mostly hand me downs from Brady.  I would say $50-100 every month or two for the boys...not sure though

Daycare sucks we pay about $500/week for both boys.  Not sure exactly how much Luke is right now.

• Options

Having a baby has added on about $1200 a month to our expenses (daycare, diapers/wipes, co pays, insurance premiums, random crap).  I breastfeed so if I used formula it would be more.

That doesn't include all the stuff we had to buy in the beginning (crib, carseat, swing, breastpump, clothes, blah blah), the actual cost to have the baby (Dr./hospital) or missed income while on maternity leave.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Damn, I forgot how expensive babies are.  I suppose it's too late to change my mind?
  • Options

imagearmandos_girl:
    Damn, I forgot how expensive babies are.  I suppose it's too late to change my mind?

You can always send me your baby. I will take really good care of it.  Just make sure you put "fragile" on the box and poke at least four or five holes in it before you ship.

• Options

imagearmandos_girl:

You can always send me your baby. I will take really good care of it.  Just make sure you put "fragile" on the box and poke at least four or five holes in it before you ship.

• Options
    imageLambie.:

imagearmandos_girl:

Well that and a Snickers bar in case he gets hungry.

• Options

As all the pps said, this is going to vary a lot based on where you live and your personal situation.  For us, it's broken down roughly like this:

Nursery/Gear for baby: about $1500 I'd estimate, mostly due to many generous gifts from family.  We didn't buy our crib, mattress, stroller, glider, car seat, linens, pack n' play or anything as we received them all as gifts. 

Childcare: we'll be spending about $500/month on childcare, again due to family help.  My MIL will be watching Sadie 3 days per week so we only need to take care of the additional two days.  Luckily there are numerous options around us that are reasonable ($50-75/day)

Maternity Leave: 0.00, but I know I'm in the minority on that one since I get 100% paid maternity leave for 3 months.

Healthcare: she'll add about $112 to our montly premiums and our yearly OOP Max is $1500.

As for the rest I'm not sure yet b/c she's still an inside baby.

Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"