Birth Stories
Options

What NOT to expect when your Expecting (a real medical miracle)

What happened with a perfectly normal pregnancy and healthy overdue baby, that caused a emergency C section and her ending up in the NICU for 2 weeks? Here is our story... My husband an I had anxiously been waiting for our daughter Lorelei's arrival. We where expecting her to be a little early, like her brother was 4 years before. But when her due date (July 17th) came an went, with no indication of labor, I decided to discuss options with my OB at my next apt. She told me that they would schedule an inducement at 41 weeks anyway. I decided to give her the Ok to schedule the inducement for the following night, instead of waiting till the weekend. It's a good thing I did... On July 21st, at 5pm, my husband took me to Childrens Hospital to start the induction process. We finally managed to get into a observation room by 7pm, apparently everyone was having there baby that night an all the delivery rooms where full. Sometime after 10pm, the Dr. administered the cervix softener witch had to be in for 12hrs before they could even start the Pitocin drip to start the labor. So, we thought we where in for a long tomorrow, as it turns out, it was exactly the opposite. We finally fell asleep a little after 2am. We never made it into a delivery room that night. Even after taking a doctor suggested Ambien, I woke up at 3:52am to roll over. It had felt like what I thought was my water braking, even though I had no consistent contractions. I called the nurse to come check on me. She came in a few second later, turned the light on an pulled back the sheet. My husband had been sleeping on a rolling pullout chair they brought in for him, positioned at the end of my bed. As he began to sit up, he too saw what the nurse did. Blood, and a lot of it. Her calm an pleasant voice suddenly turned into a panicked yet assertive women calling for every person who's attention she could get. Within seconds, I was surrounded by about 8 doctors and nurses, and they where all over me and shouting to each other. As soon as I had realized that my baby was in trouble and her heart rate was crashing, I was already being rolled into an OR. I heard my husband from behind me ask "can I go with her?", which was replied with "no, we have to get this baby out NOW" and the door closed behind me. By the time panic had set in, an tears started to stream down my face, I had already been moved onto a surgical table, an my arms where being strapped down. Thankfully, a nurse took my head in her hands an told me to calm down, breath deep into the mask, an she was going to be with me the whole time. Next thing i remember, was my Dad standing at the end of my bed and my husband trying to tell me what had happened. He was trying to give me news of our little girl an what had happened to cause all this. Although I was coming out of the anesthesia, unfortunately the Ambien, I had taken several hours earlier, was kicking in. Needless to say, not much was making any sense to me. A little while later, the Dr. that saved our little girl came in to talk to me. She told me I had experienced a placental abruption. But the bizarre part about the whole thing was that it had abrupted at the umbilical cord, causing Lorelei to bleed out in my uterus an suffocate. This type of occurrence is so rare the odds of this happening are about 1 in 15,000. When they removed her from my belly, she was not breathing, nor was her heart beating. They call this asphyxia, meaning her brain was deprived of oxygen. They did chest compressions and gave her a shot of adrenalin. That started her heart an she started breathing on her own just after. She received several blood transfusions. They weren't sure how long she was deprived of oxygen, but guessed 4 - 6 mins. This could have catastrophic results on such a little body. Trying to take all of this in, threw my tears, I managed to ask her what was the best an worst case  for my daughter. She told me she could com out of this with only a possible learning disability, but graciously gave her a 50/50 chance of surviving the day. They decided to do a fairly new treatment on her called "total body cooling". They lowered her core temp to 92.3* for 72 hrs. This was to slow down any brain damage an help her heal. This same procedure had been preformed on a Buffalo Bills football player after a sever spinal cord injury. During the process, we where unable to touch her. The possibility of heat transfer was to great an my jeopardize the outcome. We where unable to even hold her until after the took the umbilical cord IV out, and put the PICC line in her arm. That was one week and one day after she had been born. That was truly a hard thing to go threw, not being able to touch or hold your baby for so long. Over the past 2 weeks, every report we get back had been positive. The doctors are amazed at her recovery and stated referring to her as the "little miracle". She has no signs of any internal body function problems, and is bright and alert. They gave her an MRI and 3 EEGs, all where within normal range.They restricted her feeding for the first week and only gave her lipids through her IV. She started on 4ccs of breast milk every 3 hours on July 29th, and where increasing it slowly to make sure she didn't have any problems digesting it. On the 5th of August, we went in to see her, an discovered they had removed her PICC line for fluids. The following day, they moved her into the NICU nursery room, because she was not a high risk patient anymore. Saturday, August 7th,we finally got to take little girl home. Although she has several followup apt. to monitor her development, she has shown no signs of any problems caused by this event so far.We don't know how many people out there where praying for our family, even though many of you didn't even know us. Fortunately we where already at the hospital when all of this happened, or my daughter would have died, an odds are, I could have too. There was know indication or reason why any of this happened. Especially since my first pregnancy with my son, went so smoothly! It goes to show, choosing to have a hospital birth has it's benefits. Once again, we want to thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers threw out all of this. Perhaps this is prof in prayer an selfless love for those we don't know. God could have easily taken me and our little girl to heaven that day, an yet instead chose to strengthening our faith. We have been shown a great miracle and been given a blessing. We believe everything happens for a reason. Although unsure what of the reason behind her story, perhaps it all happened so God could restore faith an show us that miracles really do still happen. I hope her story touches your heart, as it has touched so many others.

Re: What NOT to expect when your Expecting (a real medical miracle)

• Options
    My heart goes out to you and your family and thankfully your DD is doing well.  I could have wrote this story myself- but I was at home (not laboring, just pregnant) when it happened (almost a complete placenta abruption).    Everyday we realize how lucky we were.  I know there is a blodd test you can take to test for a genetic disorder which could cause this.  I have opted not to take it because either result would drive me batty.  FWIW, In some of my counseling sessions, I have been made aware of many women that had severe placenta abruptions in a pregnancy and then none in later ones.  Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness!!!  I cannot imagine how frightening that must have been.  Thank God you were in the hospital and they were able to take immediate action.  T&P to you and your baby girl and your entire family that she continues to flourish and thrive...what a fighter!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with us.  I am so glad your daughter is alive and home with you and your family where she belongs.  I will keep her in my thoughts for continuing a normal, healthy life.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Glad to hear you guys are home.  Children's Hospital is GREAT!  My LO had to spend some time in the NICU there as well.

• Options
    wow!! I am so glad she is ok and thriving!!!
  • Options
    Wow, that has to be the most amazing thing I have read in a while. So glad you and your little one are ok.
  • Options
    Amen. We pray God continues to bless you and your family. I am so thankful you were in a hospital for your delivery. Quick thinking and fast work saved you both.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you had to go through something so scary, but it's wonderful how well your little girl is doing. For what it's worth, I'm an RN in a NICU and have seen many great outcomes after total body cooling....it's amazing what can happen! Big Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
  • Options
    So glad that everything turned out ok. I know what it is like to have somebody suddenly sound panicked, call to anyone who could come, be surrounded by people and get wheeled quickly off the OR while you are crying and your husband has to be left behind. It is SCARY! Again, so glad everything turned out ok - and CONGRATS!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"