Nurseries and Baby Gear

moses basket?

DH's friends convinced him that we should get a moses basket for use for the first few months. Is this safe to use for sleeping at night? We were originally planning to use the bassinet in the PnP and put it in our room until we transition LO in her room/crib.

Re: moses basket?

• I don't know how practical they are since you can only use them until LO is about 8 weeks. But I love them so much! I bought the Restoration Hardware moses basket/stand off of craigslist for an awesome deal so I decided to just suck it up and use this item for a little while and package it up for #2 to use. 
    <a href=
  • I honestly don't think there's any difference between the two, although you would get more use out of the PnP after you're finished with the bassinet portion.
    Marie, wife to Ron, mom to DS
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMarieGranados:
    I honestly don't think there's any difference between the two, although you would get more use out of the PnP after you're finished with the bassinet portion.

Ditto this.  Did they give any reason why they think the Moses basket is so great?  To me, that seems like a collosal waste of money (unless you are able to score a deal on CL like the pp).  We did have a bassinet (borrowed from brother/SIL) and were really only able to use it for 3 mos max before he outgrew it.  I was so thankful we had not spent a ton of money on one or on a moses basket.  If we hadn't gotten it for free, I would have just used the bassinet feature on the PNP.  Just seems so much more practical. 

• The moses basket was a nice thing back in the 50s or whatever when you wanted to haul your baby around the house with you. Now, with bouncers, rock n'plays, and most of all infant baby carriers -- they are unnecessary. My mother was going to give me mine but the trouble of shipping me such a bulky item plus the fact that we have a PnP *and* a rock n' play AND an infant carrier-style car seat.... it just seemed silly. If you want to cart your baby around, you can do it in a car seat. The PnP bassinet is fine for in-room sleeping of a newborn for a few weeks.

An even bigger waste of money is getting the STANDS  for the moses baskets to turn them into defacto bassinets.

• We used a moses basket and it really worked out for us.  I am not going to lie, I fell in love with the appearance of it and was initially blind sided by the functionality.  However, it turned out to be a huge hit.  To me it was the best of all worlds.  It had an open top unlike a traditional bassinet which made it great for co-sleeping and mid night feedings.  DS's basket was on a stand right next to my bed.  I would scoop DS out of the basket and nurse him at night.  It was super light weight.  I could hold DS in one hand and with the other hand pull the moses basket and stand and go from the living room to my bedroom (1 level home) when necessary.  I am not a fan of the overkill pnps so I got a simple pnp that we actually use now as a playpen and is also a hit (Graco tot bloc) and a moses basket and I probably spent the same amount on the pricing.  Storage is about the same too,  the moses basket is currently being used to store stuffed animals and the pnp folds just like any other.  If you get a quality basket it will last you just as long as any other bassinet.  We made it through the newborn months, it's in great condition and we hope to use it again. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Here is my question:  

Why is a full-sized crib with bumpers a SIDS risk, but a small bassinet or moses basket with enclosed sides not?  This has never made a bit of sense to me.  Seems like there would be much better air circulation in the crib than the other two options.

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • some one posted this question on this board a few weeks ago That Just Happened but I don't think it was ever answered.  When I was researching bassinets and moses baskets, I came across a medical journal article that basically indicated that there is no increased risk of SIDS due to a bassinet use and the deaths were cause by issues that are typical of crib SIDS cases as well-- blankets or pillows in the crib, plastic on the mattresses, soft mattresses, child suffocating face down.  In general the issue was caused by the child being in a position where they could have their airways (mouth, nose) obstructed.  There was no evidence that this obstruction was more likely in a bassinet.  In fact, co-sleeping in the same room has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I second the question about safety with the bumper on the moses baskets...

I just got the restoration hardware moses basket and stand...but then am reading that safe baby sleeping includes a firm surface with no bumpers. The pillow bottom on the moses basket is super plush like a soft pillow...and then there is a bumper all around....I'm guessing its not safe then. But the bedding was what was so expensive on the basket so it's strange to me they sell it like that. I'm confused now...
  • Lux_Diva said:
    We used a moses basket and it really worked out for us.  I am not going to lie, I fell in love with the appearance of it and was initially blind sided by the functionality.  However, it turned out to be a huge hit.  To me it was the best of all worlds.  It had an open top unlike a traditional bassinet which made it great for co-sleeping and mid night feedings.  DS's basket was on a stand right next to my bed.  I would scoop DS out of the basket and nurse him at night.  It was super light weight.  I could hold DS in one hand and with the other hand pull the moses basket and stand and go from the living room to my bedroom (1 level home) when necessary.  I am not a fan of the overkill pnps so I got a simple pnp that we actually use now as a playpen and is also a hit (Graco tot bloc) and a moses basket and I probably spent the same amount on the pricing.  Storage is about the same too,  the moses basket is currently being used to store stuffed animals and the pnp folds just like any other.  If you get a quality basket it will last you just as long as any other bassinet.  We made it through the newborn months, it's in great condition and we hope to use it again. 
    This, exactly, except we don't have any type of pack and play. We loved our Moses Basket, can't wait to use it with #2.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• For what I've read in the last few days, the problem with the crib bumpers is that they could come off and have the same result as a blanket or pillow in the crib, the baby could suffocate. Also, when the baby is in the bassinet it's usually for the first few weeks/months after birth so he's too small to move all over the place and grab stuff that might block his airways (but do keep blankets, pillows, etc. away from bassinet as well). Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"