Nurseries and Baby Gear

Parents should stop using sleep positioners!

Re: Parents should stop using sleep positioners!

• Agreed!  You should only use one if your pediatrician recommends it for acid reflux problems or other sleeping issues.
  • imagelaurel22:
    Agreed!  You should only use one if your pediatrician recommends it for acid reflux problems or other sleeping issues.

If your pedi is recommending it even after the CPSC and FDA have said they are DANGEROUS, I'd ask for another opinion.  Preferably from a competent doctor.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • imagecdobry01:

imagelaurel22:
    Agreed!  You should only use one if your pediatrician recommends it for acid reflux problems or other sleeping issues.

If your pedi is recommending it even after the CPSC and FDA have said they are DANGEROUS, I'd ask for another opinion.  Preferably from a competent doctor.

Yeah seriously considering that clinical studies were never cleared by the FDA and APA.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Thank you! I just got a sleep positioner from my MIL that I didn't register for and I will not be using it after reading that.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLittleApple:
    imagecdobry01:

imagelaurel22:

Yeah seriously considering that clinical studies were never cleared by the FDA and APA.

Sorry, I didn't read the article very well; just kind of skimmed it and didn't realize they recommended that sleep positioners not be used at ALL under any circumstances... I have a couple of friends whose pedis recommended them when their babies developed acid reflux and digestive issues, but this was a year or two ago, obviously before this big warning came out.  I'm sure that most doctors who know about the warnings wouldn't recommend a sleep positioner now.

Did anyone else notice that it took 12 deaths over 13 years before the CPSC/FDA issued this warning??

• Looks like ill be taking the one that was bought off of my registry back...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Whenever I see those in the store or online I always think "umm do I need one of those? should I be getting that?"

Guess that's one less thing to figure out!

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • While I agree that "back to sleep" is a good thing and agree it has reduced SIDS.  It is pushed so much that parents feel like they have to force their kids on their backs, so in turn purchase these contraptions.  Even before this came out I always thought they looked like death traps.  It is okay in some cases to allow your child to sleep on their sides or belly and I wish more people would let go sometimes.  My son refused to sleep on his back, but I wouldn't use a sleep positioner, I didn't like the looks of them.  He has always slept on his belly since he was about a month old.

It is sad that these things that are sold to keep kids on their backs to keep them from passing away from SIDS are in turn causing deaths of infants.  I really hope that they stop being manufactured.

Booze, it's what's for dinner imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
  • imageLittleApple:
    imagecdobry01:

imagelaurel22:

Yes I'll be asking our pedi next time. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"