Houston Babies

CD Moms - detergent/wash routine?

I just started CD'ing 2.5 weeks ago, and I really thought I had a good routine going, until the load I did last night took several washes to come clean.  I have been using Country Save and tried using more soap, but ended up doing a wash with All Free & Clear to finally get it all clean.  Does anyone here successfully use Country Save or have a CD friendly detergent they really like?  Our community water supply is from well water, so I am wondering if that will make it harder.  Any tips are appreciated!  I also thought about trying Bac Out on soiled ones after dumping solids.

Re: CD Moms - detergent/wash routine?

• I think the washing and detergent info here is really good. 

I basically use their routine and have great success.  I have a front loader with all sorts of nifty features, so I first do a "Speed-Wash" on cold with no detergent (as my cold water soak).  Then I do a regular wash on hot, with extra water and an extra rinse cycle.  I use regular Tide (well, HE Tide).  Because we have a water softener, I actually need to use less detergent than the load calls for, but most people (including front loader users) need to use at least as much detergent as the load calls for, if not a little more.  The extra rinse cycle will make sure it all rinses out.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't tried Country Save yet (I couldn't find it when I went looking the other day.)

We were using All Free & Clear until I noticed the inserts were stinking after they came out of the dryer.

I got a sample of some Rockin' Green Hard Rock which I used to wash the diapers. It  got all the stinkyness out. I'm being a little cheap so right now I'm using Planet liquid, which is CD safe. But we're moving to a house with well water in DEcember, so I'll probably get a bag of the Rockin' Green then. It really did do a great job.

Our routine is generally: rinse/drain/low spin on cold. Then a hot wash with a double rinse. I have noticed I've needed to sun my diapers more to get stains out lately, but her poops have also gotten thicker lately, so I think that's why. It seems to get them pretty clean. Sometimes I'll also soak them. I may start adding a soak in regularly, once a week or so.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I use Purex F&C and have since DD was born.

I do the rinse, hot wash with detergent, extra rinse. I have an old top loader, so I'm just spinning the dial to rinse for the first one and last one.

Sometimes I do a load with a bit of Dawn and oxyclean. Or I add oxyclean to my regular wash. Or I add vinegar to my regular wash in a downy ball or sometimes in the wash.

Personally I think that any routine will eventually cause buildup so it's good to do small variations.

I don't really care about stains as long as there's no smell, but drying in the sun really will get the stains out.

- Jena
  • We have been using Original Tide HE, we have a front loader. I do a speed wash on cold first then do a regular wash on hot with an extra rinse cycle. This has been working great for us so far. Oh, I tried drying my diapers in the sun for the first time and it really did get the stains out. It was amazing. The only bad thing is that they are pretty crunchy afterwards, but I just threw them in the dryer for about 10 minutes on low to soften them up.
    DD 1 - Aug. 2010
    DD 2 - Jan. 2013
    Baby Boy -  EDD April 12, 2015

• I use planet. I do a presoak in cold, cold wash no detergent, hot was with detergent, extra rinse.

I sometimes have staining on my dipes with natural fibers and I just sun them, works like a charm.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks, everyone - I'll give the Tide a try.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"