Indiana Babies
Options

Anyone a runner?

I'd like to start running, but I have no idea where to start.  Couch to 5 K or something else you recommend?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone a runner?

• Options

I started running about 6 years ago when I entered a mini marathon.  Up until that point, I was more of a brisk walker.  I ran/walked the first one and haven't looked back since.  It is such a great feeling of accomplishment every time I finish a race and now I can't stop signing up for them.  I'm doing my first marathon in November.  I am not a "runner" in any shape or form, so if I can do it, anyone can do it!

When I wanted to build up my capacity to run longer distances without stopping, I picked a course that's about the distance of a 5k and just started running until I had to walk.  I increased the distance I ran little by little, and within 4-5 weeks I could run the whole thing.  You'll be amazed how quickly you improve.  So much of it is mental - your body can run way longer than you think if your mind can hang in there, too. 

I would start by signing up for a 5k so you have a goal for motivation.  Worst case scenario, your training doesn't go well and you end up showing up to pick up your t-shirt and walk.  There are usually 2-3 5ks in the area any given weekend. 

Here's an article I found that lays out a 6-week schedule for your first 5K.  I've never done the Couch to 5K program so I can't speak for that.

Have fun and good luck! 

• Options
    Thank you!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Couch to 5K is a GREAT way to get started running.  Google podcasts for it too, back when I did intervals I found it much easier to listen to something that would tell me when to change speed, rather than having to keep an eye on my watch or the treadmill clock.

Of PARAMOUNT importance are the right shoes.  If you run, even for a minute or two, in shoes that don't properly support your gait and your anatomy, you could experience pain that could deter you from continuing or, even worse, result in injury.  What you need to go is go to a local running store -- Running Company, Athletic Annex, Runner's Forum, etc (not a big box store like D!ck's or Foot Locker) and have a gait analysis done.  It's a complimentary service, and this site explains why it's important: https://erunningcompany.com/analysis/ 

I used to think I was doomed to shin splint pain, until I discovered the gait analysis thing.  I've been 100% pain- and injury-free since the day I walked out of the store with shoes I selected via a gait analysis.  Expect to pay $80-$120 for shoes, but look at it as an investment in your health.  Plus, once you know which model works for you, you can buy subsequent pairs at a discount.  (My first pair was $110 at the store... all subsequent pairs have been from zappos or runningwarehouse.com for $50-$70).

Finally, check out the Health & Fitness board on the Nest... there are a lot of runners there, from newbies to experienced.  Lots of great advice, ideas, and support.

Good luck and welcome to running!!  It's the best habit you'll ever start.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options
    imageSweetTea*83:

I am not a "runner" in any shape or form, so if I can do it, anyone can do it!

You run = you ARE a runner! 

Don't sell yourself short!  Cool

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options

Ditto the shoe thing.  I can't believe the difference that it made for me.

I had never run more than warming up before practices but I did Couch to 5K last spring and loved it.  I lost all my baby weight and felt so accomplished afterwards.  I plan on doing it again after this baby comes!

• Options

yay!  Another runner joining the pack!!

Can't tell you how jealous of the ladies training right now!!

• Options
    imageIndyGirl02:
    imageSweetTea*83:

I am not a "runner" in any shape or form, so if I can do it, anyone can do it!

You run = you ARE a runner! 

Don't sell yourself short!  Cool

Haha...YKWIM.  I'm no Paula Radcliffe with a gazelle-like body.  But yes, I suppose I am a runner. 

Ditto on the shoes.  I use the Running Company and now have about eight pairs of the exact same shoe.  But, I haven't had any injuries, shin splints, etc. in six years.  Oh, and socks!  Get some good running socks with moisture wicking when you buy your shoes from one of those companies.

Also, something that I cannot live without is spandex running shorts or capris.  When I try just normal shorts...OHHHH the chafing.  Spandex is your friend.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"