2nd Trimester

Is fetal movement ever supposed to feel uncomfortable?

I'm talking early fetal movement here, not 38+ weeks with a foot lodged in your ribs.

My doctor said she expected me to start feeling something before my next appointment next week, and for a couple of weeks now, I've been feeling "something." It doesn't feel like flutters or a fish squirming, like I've heard others describe. It's very low in my pelvis, where I'd expect baby to be, and it feels like something moving, for lack of a better description....but it almost hurts! Not like a cramp or like gas pains...but just a very uncomfortable, wtf-is-that feeling.

Anyone else with this experience or any insight?

Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

Re: Is fetal movement ever supposed to feel uncomfortable?

• I think those first movements (before they become kicks) are uncomfortable and very odd.  I don't like them until they become kicks.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • with this being your first baby i would be very surprised if what you are feeling is baby as opposed to some growing pains. early baby moves don't hurt. just feels like butterflies. just keep hanging on. with bailey i felt her for the first time at 17 weeks early in the morning while lying very still. when you feel it, you will know!
  • Loading the player...
  • Some of them remind me of when you have a stomach bug and can feel painful gas bubbles moving through. They aren't always nice. She's still not super strong but sometimes it feels like her foot gets caught on something as she kicks and it makes me wince.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine kept changing from head up to head down and back again and let me tell you this did not feel good at all.  I can describe it the same way, that it almost hurt, but more uncomfortable than hurt.  But that didn't start happening to me until after 18 weeks.  You're still pretty early so it is really hard to say for sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When my baby headbutts my cervix, it's uncomfortable as hell, and has been for a while now.
  • I think Elizabeth is very active.  I can feel her moving all around and sometimes it feels like I just got off a roller coaster when she flips around.  I love it though!

photo 8171fa67-0749-444f-93ec-78250e104e5f_zps37aefc95.jpg

• Well.. the only two times it felt really uncomfortable and Wtf, was when I was about 17 weeks maybe? I was peeing and when I stood up, I felt something really weird! like the baby did a back flip or something... That felt uncomfortable, and then I remember another time while sitting at my desk at work, I felt something push my cervix, that also felt uncomfortable. Now that Im 25 weeks, I feel the baby sometimes put his foot or knee (cant really tell what it is) in the left side of the lower pelvis, (baby is still sitting) and after a while, it feels a little uncomfortable.

Hahah but when laying on the left side, he tickles so much!!!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • lol, yes they are uncomfortable.  just wait until you see a tiny ass move across your belly or direct kicks to your crotch.  it gets plain painful!
  • imagejayellekay:

I'm talking early fetal movement here, not 38+ weeks with a foot lodged in your ribs.

My doctor said she expected me to start feeling something before my next appointment next week, and for a couple of weeks now, I've been feeling "something." It doesn't feel like flutters or a fish squirming, like I've heard others describe. It's very low in my pelvis, where I'd expect baby to be, and it feels like something moving, for lack of a better description....but it almost hurts! Not like a cramp or like gas pains...but just a very uncomfortable, wtf-is-that feeling.

Anyone else with this experience or any insight?

Lucky you that your doctor expects you to be feeling the baby this early. I'm a little over 18 weeks and am not feeling much, if anything, at all. My OB said it's normal for first time moms to feel the baby move sometime around the 18-20 week mark. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is my first child as well and I started feeling her at 16 weeks and yes it was a little uncomfortable and just felt odd.

• I started feeling movement at 13.5 weeks, like your stomach flipping in your ute, and kicks all day by a week after that. (if you think you feel movement, don't let other people tell you it is too early, just because they couldn't discern between movement and gas!) 

I think it feels weird sometimes b/c just the juxtaposition of different densities moving in there feels a bit odd- (fluid, placenta, the baby.)  I also think it has to do with the ute growing...nerves that used to be right next to each other feeling only period cramps are now stretched apart and feeling new sensations. (akin to the clumsiness of someone who just grew a foot) I guess It feels most uncomfortable when I switch from side to side while sleeping....it's like she sinks to the other side! ugghh! (along with when she kicks my cervix, or sticks her tiny butt as deeply in my crotch as she can.)

• I started feeling LO move around 16 weeks & he hasn't stopped since.  Fortunately though, I didn't feel anything really uncomfortable with his movements until yesterday when he decided it'd be really fun to jump up and down on my cervix.  I just feel blessed that I'm able to feel anything though.
  • imagecruelsound:

Are they ever supposed to be comfortable? Every single time, I either get creeped out or it really feels weird. Sometimes it's even straight up painful (thanks for the cervix stomping, kid.)

Same here -- this is my first and I started feeling him at 14 weeks.  I would not describe anything so far as comfortable -- it's all been uncomfortable, both the squirming around and the kicking.  Not painful, just noticeably uncomfortable.

• LIsten! Y'all just made my day because I thought I was going to be birthing a TONKA TRUCK! This ain't a flutter or a tickle! This chick is going for the gold in deep diving! It is quite the shock when she gets going because she just goes from side to side. Lady bug did a sumersalt the other day while I was home alone, and I almost called the people! I was wondering if she was supposed to be up higher like don't kick your self out. I started squeezing my thighs just to be safe! LOL I'm really waiting for a cute flutter because little girl is moving furniture! As uncomfortable as it is, I'll take it just as long as she's happy and healthy, but at least I know she's no linebacker!
  • Mine felt like weird rolling.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Where the hell do people FIND these posts?

Half the newbs can't use the search function, and ask the same question that is still on page one three times over.... the other half apparently DO use the search function, and resurrect the oldest zombie threads they can find.  8-|

And what in the wide, wide world of sports was that random "moving furniture" post?  Stream of consciousness writing.....  @-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Zombie!!!! 8-X

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I am a FTM and I also assumed it would feel like flutters or butterflies.  I would have to agree that it wasn't the most comfortable feeling.  at 18.5 weeks I felt something.  I can't describe it other than it was a different sensation in my uterus, probably closer to butterflies, but in no way was it like "there is movement in there."  I feel it about every other day now.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"