TTC after 35
Options

XPOST: Have you given up soy?

(I also posted this on Success after IF)

I'm a vegetarian, so I typically eat more soy than the average person. I keep reading that soy is not great for TTC because it mimics estrogen.

I've cut way down (the occasional veggie burger, soy sauce sometimes), but I'm wondering whether I should go cold turkey. (so to speak!)

any advice? thanks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XPOST: Have you given up soy?

• Options
    Gosh your stuck.  I don't eat a ton but then again, I eat meat.   Maybe just eat more beans and less soy?  Good luck!
  • Options

I had read a few articles about the estrogen and then others about how soy was emasculating young boys and I just couldn't read any more.   

Perhaps your doc could advise? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm also a vegetarian. From what research i have done on the topic, i have come to the conclusion that people eat WAY too much soy. Even cultures we think of as soy-based (Japanese/Chinese,) don't actually eat that much of it, and not in the same forms we do.

As a culture, we tend to take something we have decided is good for us, and add it to as many foods as possible. Yes, omega threes are great, but must we have them in our oj? Does there NEED to be fiber in our yogurt? Not only is soybean oil in a hell of a lot of foods, but people are choosing foods B/C they have soy. I would say there are plenty of people that are eating six or more servings of soy a day. Which is probably not a good thing (TTC or not) if it does mimic estrogen. 

Personally, i try to stick to traditional, fermented soy products like tempeh, avoid the weird "soy sausages" type of foods, and use almond or rice milk. Once in a while i have edemame. I tend to think that soy is fine in reasonable amounts.

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options

I've given up soy.  More for endometriosis than TTC, though.  I'm kidn of on a diet experiment cutting out soy, caffeine, wheat, dairy, sugar, red meat and going mostly organic.  The wheat part is the hardest.

-Pix

About me: A pixie in the city, 41, TTC #1 since May 2010, married 18 years. Diagnosed with, surgically removed, endometrioma Aug.2010 Sept 2010 IUI #1=BFN, Oct=cyst/bfn, Nov 2010 IUI #2 = bfn. Had to postpone IUI #3 b/c of a cyst natural=BFN. Skipped IUI #3, decided to go for IVF. Found/removed uterine polyps Jan 2011. IVF cancelled, no follicles. IVF #2: 3 great embies put in on Easter Sunday = BFN. Hoping for another chance at IVF in July. TTC is NOT for wimps. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/2fab90/ttc.png
  • Options

My god, pixie....much power to you!

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options
    Pixie: please check back in and let us know how the diet is going. I am doing something similar for endo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"