Preemies
Options

Help - carseats & preemies

Hi ladies- new here. My twins were born last week at 36 wks weighing roughly 4.5 lbs each. Leo is still in the NICU, but Lucy has been home with us since Friday. 

We have Graco Snugrides, and they are installed with the latch system. The balance thingamabobber says they are at the right angle, however, when I put Lucy in her carseat, it seems like it's too "upright." When we drove home from the hospital, I sat in the back and held Lucy's head up the whole time. Otherwise it just drops straight to her chest. 

I've called two fire stations & a child safety advocacy group and nobody can get us an appt for car seat checks for two WEEKS! Obviously, that won't work. 

Anybody else run into this problem? Is it a preemie thing, or a car seat thing? Any tips? TIA

Lilypie First Birthday tickers twins born at 36 wks Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Help - carseats & preemies

• Options
    did you have to have a car seat challenge in the nicu before she left?
    Have you tried the infant head supports that are sold separately? i rolled receiving blankets on the sides to keep my son's head more upright.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.
  • Options
    This is a carseat thing. The balances usually call for them to be SO upright if you balance right in the middle. Try cranking the 'foot' up some to lean her back (the knob thing by her feet - if it's like the SnugRide 32); I had ours so that it was JUST inside the appropriate color, keeping him as reclined as possible while still in the right range.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAt1stsight:
    This is a carseat thing. The balances usually call for them to be SO upright if you balance right in the middle. Try cranking the 'foot' up some to lean her back (the knob thing by her feet - if it's like the SnugRide 32); I had ours so that it was JUST inside the appropriate color, keeping him as reclined as possible while still in the right range.

This. I was positive my LO with stop breathing on the hour ride home from the hospital. I was scared to death. When we got home, the first thing I did was pull the foot on the base out as far as it would go. It helped a lot. If your base doesn't have a foot, you can buy a pool noodle and wedge that under the base to recline it further. Ours was also barely in the range, but it worked.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • Options

My twins were born at 36 weeks at about 6 lbs each.  DD didn't pass the carseat challenge the first two times (also Graco Sungride).  She actually turned blue the 2nd attempt.  She ended up passing the next day with a towel under her butt to lift her up a bit and a rolled blanket on each side of her to help position her.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"