School-Aged Children

Tetanus reaction? or having 4 shots in one day???

My almost-5-year-old wore a brave face and shed a few tears yesterday when she had to have FOUR shots yesterday at her dr's appt (does that seem odd or ridiculous to anyone else?). After a peach smoothie, she seemed over it.

I left for work this afternoon at 3, and she seemed to be in good spirits - no worries.  When I was driving home at 8, my husband told me on the phone that her arm was very swollen and itchy like a bug bite.  I went to the store to pick up some benedryl just in case and headed home. 

Her arm was very hard and warm at one of the injection sites - but like I said, she had four shots - I'm pretty sure this was the tetanus one.  I had her ice it for about 15 minutes and gave her a half-dose of benedryl and sent her to bed. Does a reaction like this sound familiar to anyone else? Hmm

*additional rant* After the four shots, the nurse went to write them down in the little green book, and said, "Oh, it looks like Rachel finished her Hep A series when she was two, she didn't need that 4th one."  I was PISSED, especially since it was documented in my green book and in her chart - it just wasn't in the computer. Super Angry  They said it shouldn't do anything...  I'm still really frustrated about it.  If it turns out this reaction is from that particular shot, someone is going to get an earful tomorrow. 

Re: Tetanus reaction? or having 4 shots in one day???

• Keep an eye on it, please. I'm not trying to scare you, but I had a staph infection two years ago after having the tdap and pneumonia vaccinations in the same arm. I felt almost like I was getting the flu the next day, and my arm became so hard and swollen within two days that I couldn't move it, and it was hot to the touch. I ran a fever of 103, had chills, and blackouts.

That being said, it is normal for her to have pain and swelling for a few days, but I could call the doctor immediately if anything else happens. Again, not trying to scare you and I'm sure it's not that... just keep an eye on her :)  

• Oh we will, we are all over the staph thing.  Rachel was 2 days old when we were rushed to the hospital and spent 10 days there because she ended up being the 1st case of pediatric MRSA in our county. Stupid hospital Sad

Even though she is considered medically clear, it is always in the back of our mind... Confused

• Loading the player...
  • Wow, I'd be pissed about the duplicate Hep A shot as well! 

DS just had his 4 shots last week and he didn't get that reaction at all.  Every child reacts differently to immunizations though, so I wouldn't worry too much unless you think it is continuously getting worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"