Hawaii Babies
Options

cd question

with bf fed babies the word is that you just throw the diaper in the wash. So what do we do when little ones start eating a lot of solids or/and formula or cows milk?

tia!

Re: cd question

• Options

you need to scrape or rinse it off into the toilet.  We went ahead and bought a diaper sprayer and just moved his pail into the bathroom.

not quite sure what formula poo actually looks like (have heard that type of too is thicker, and obviously not water soluble which is why you have to clean off first - it won't rinse itself in the wash). 

I can comment on the next stage - I have read they should go to a peanut butter consistency but Jack hasn't had that yet (if he ever will?).  On days he isn't interested in food and eats very little solids it is hardly different than BF poo, but I still rinse with the sprayer because I can see there is a slight difference and I don't want that in the washer.

Now that he eats more he gets definite solid formed poo.  Many times most of it will plop right off into the toilet and then I rinse with the sprayer for good measure but I can see how it wouldn't be hard to scrape this type, or even do a quick dunk in the toilet (sprayer is $45 so if you only diaper part time it might not be cost effective). Daycare still just puts poo diaper in the travel pail and I clean it at night. This whole post isgross/TMI so I may as well talk about it too.  He usually poos in the morning so by the evening it's pretty dry and kind of shakes right off.

All that said - I'm pretty new to it.  It doesn't gross me out as much as I thought it might - however it also doesn't really stink yet.

• Options

We've CD'd since Bella was 2 weeks old (she was too tiny at first). The BF poops were the best, straight into the washer. The peanut butter poop stage (when you are first starting different kinds of solids) SUCKS. Its just exactly like it sounds, like peanut butter and you must either scrap it or use a scraper. We used a kitchen scraper that we bought at Walmart, scrapped the poop into the toilet then took the diaper back into her room and into the diaper pail. Now her poops are "plopable", seriously they plop right into the toilet, no scraping needed. It's not bad at all. 

Our daycare does the same exact thing, just puts the poopy diaper into the wetbag and then we dump it out when we get her home... or should I say that I dump it out. DH just leaves it, GROSS! He says "i'm too busy with everything when your working and I just don't have time"... yet he's watching TV on the couch when I get home... that's a whole different story! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Peanut butter poop is the perfect description! Kaya had her first peanut butter poop last week and it was pretty awful. Ditto on the diaper sprayer. So glad I bought that thing! It came right off and didn't even stain.
  • Options

oh bummer. Maybe we'll take a break from CDing while we're in the peanut butter stage and go back when we can plop the poop in the toilet, it sounds terrible!

We've had to give Ryan a little formula and his poop stinks sooooo freakin bad when we do. They should write that as one of the many perks of BFing, the poo hardly stinks at all! lol

• Options
    i thought formula poop was water soluble too, so you can just throw it in the wash.  i thought you only needed to scrape after starting solids?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejaysgirljulie:

oh bummer. Maybe we'll take a break from CDing while we're in the peanut butter stage and go back when we can plop the poop in the toilet, it sounds terrible!

We've had to give Ryan a little formula and his poop stinks sooooo freakin bad when we do. They should write that as one of the many perks of BFing, the poo hardly stinks at all! lol

like I said... Jack never had PB poo (I guess he still could, but I doubt it since he has obviously moved beyond transitional.  Not sure if it had to do with BLW, the way we introduced food, or just something else entirely) Maybe you will luck out too?  I have also read posts from moms to kids who had PB poo for months.  He still goes back and forth from 99% BF poo (maybe with very small bits of food - can especially tell when he eats sweet potatoes or watermelon because it's not digested enough to change color) to full on plop-able solids but I bet a diaper sprayer would make any poo come right off - that thing is POWERFUL when turned up full blast.  luckily we have very low flow toilets so I can really get the diaper in the bowl low so there isn't any back spray.

sooooo.... the post is officially the most I have ever talked about poo before in my life :)

• Options
    imagejaysgirljulie:

Maybe we're just hardcore CDer's but DH and I never thought it was THAT bad... I mean it's not like it lasts that long. There are also liners that you can put in the CD's to just pull out and flush, I had a friend that did that. I tried them but they felt rough to me (like dryer sheets) and if I were a baby I wouldn't want them on my bum so we didn't use them... that's just us though. There are options though like the sprayer or the liners so you don't have to stop CDing if you don't want to. 

• Options
    Yeah, it comes off pretty easily with the diaper sprayer.  It's gross no matter what kind of diapers you use, though!  I definitely miss BM poos!
  • Options

yeah, i bought a diaper sprayer - got a brand new one from diaperswappers for $25 shipped and then right after we did this, i started doing EC with her...go figure! i probably should have waited. but, it's still good for those occasional poops we miss that end up in the diaper. in the last month we've only had 2 poopy diapers...the rest of her poops have been in the toilet :)

honestly it is not as gross as it sounds. when we were in CA we didn't have a sprayer and i had maybe 3-4 poopy diapers and i just did the whole dunk and swish method and it wasn't THAT bad.  luckily we were already doing EC at that point so the majority of her poops were going down the toilet anyway

it really wasn't long before her poop was formed...maybe 1 month?

if you don't want to deal w/it then i'd suggest either using the flushable liners, doing EC, or just getting a diaper sprayer (you can DIY too for about $12 i think - there are instructions online). i wouldn't switch to disposables b/c it really isn't that bad. the poo does stink more, but dealing w/the poopy diapers isn't that bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"