Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

The dreaded question

I was asked the dreaded question for the first time since the miscarriage "Do you have any children?" My mind went a million miles and hour trying to figure out how I should answer. "yes but I lost the baby...I recently had a miscarriage..etc" I went with "no but I hope to soon"

I was pregnant for 6 wks. In my mind I lost my child that I didn't have enough time with but I know to most people it wasn't a "real" baby. How do you all answer this awful question?

Re: The dreaded question

• Options

I know what you mean, our baby stopped growing at 6 weeks, though I didn't have a D&C until 11.5.I don't even know if it was a girl or a boy, and I know many people would barely consider that a child, even though to me it was my baby the moment I found out I was pregnant.

So far, that question has mostly been asked by people I barely know and am not going to really interact with, like people in stores, doctors or dentists offices, etc. To them I just say "not yet." because I'm not going to get into my loss with a stranger I'll never see again. Most people I know well know what happened, and I'm open with other people I'm meeting and may get to know about what happened. I don't say "Yes I have a child in Heaven." but if it comes up and they directly ask me if I have kids and/or when I'm going to, I do say we are trying and that I just had a miscarriage. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ugh. That question is the worse. A close second would be "so, when are you two going to have a baby?"

It depends on the asker. I've replied with all of the following:

"Yes"

"Yes, but he passed away in April" 

"I don't have any living children" (I like this one because it's true and it gets the point across)

"Not yet"

"No"

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't yet been asked, but I think it might depend on who asked and how I was feeling. While I'd like to think I'd say something like "I have a baby in heaven" or something, I would probably mostly say "Not yet". I like the suggestion of saying "I have no living children". Maybe I'll stick with that.

A couple days after our loss, I still had a belly bump (now long gone) and a salesman asked us if I was pregnant to which I just responded "Not anymore". Ug. I wish some people would mind their own business.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP 1: 3/19/10 Loss: 7/9/10
    BFP 2: 12/28/10
    My Blog: Losing Sylvia
  • Options
    The first time someone asked me, I said no.  Then I felt awful about saying no. So, now I say "I have a daughter in Heaven" or "I have a daughter but she passed away."  It is hard when some people follow that with 1 million diffiicult questions though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I still struggle with this question. I haven't found a good answer.

I usually simply say no. But in my head I'm panicked and heartbroken thinking, yes, I have two babies!!! But I know if I said that people would start asking more questions about them and I would end up having to tell someone I don't know my sad story and I'm just not okay with that either. Besides I don't want to give anyone the opportunity to make a stupid comment that just hurts me more.

But I understand. It feels like a stab to the heart every time I hear it. And worse it feels like I'm denying their existance when i say no.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"