North Carolina Babies

Clicky Poll: opening b'day gifts

I think this is a somewhat new trend. I kind of like it...but kind of don't. For a bunch of 2 year olds, whose attention span is short, it's tempting. But I don't know how guests would react..

How do you feel about it?

[Poll]

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Clicky Poll: opening b'day gifts

• I'm considering doing this at Eli's next bday party.  At his 2nd bday party, it was just too chaotic during that time.  The other kids want to help and don't understand that they can't.  Which is fine, except Eli didn't want help and got mad when the other kids wanted to play with his new toys.  So I think for young kids it's a really good thought. 

For older kids I think it's still fun to open, because the kids want to see their friend open the present they got them.  And they all understand whose birthday it is and how it works.  But for toddlers not opening is very appealing to me.  Now, for parties where it's just family, not such an issue.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it depends...if you're talking about a bday party with kids and friends, etc. then I think it's totally fine to not do it...if you're doing a family party, I say open them. I've seen it done both ways, but I think with family it's fun to do, with a lot of kids...I can totally see not doing it.
  • Loading the player...
  • My main motivation for considering it is that if we do My Gym, the party is only 1.5 hours... this includes all the activities, cake, etc.. So it might be hard to squeeze gifts in there too. Hmm.

(And you were right Mikey, it's $300)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• imageMrsHughesNC:

My main motivation for considering it is that if we do My Gym, the party is only 1.5 hours... this includes all the activities, cake, etc.. So it might be hard to squeeze gifts in there too. Hmm.

(And you were right Mikey, it's $300)

That's exactly what happened at the bounce party we just went to.  I don't know if it was planned that way or not, but there just wasn't time to do presents.  They only alloted a certain amount of time to eat, do cake and presents, and with so many little kids it just wasn't possible.  Maybe for older kids it would have been, but not a bunch of 3 yos.  I didn't mind it at all, I think it cut down on alot of the chaos.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • narknark member
    My mom suggested that next time we just open each gift as the guests walk in. That way we can say thanks in person, and the kids can play with it if it's a toy, but we don't have to do a whole sit-and-watch thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetracelini:
    I think it depends...if you're talking about a bday party with kids and friends, etc. then I think it's totally fine to not do it...if you're doing a family party, I say open them. I've seen it done both ways, but I think with family it's fun to do, with a lot of kids...I can totally see not doing it.

this.   

• We did at his first, but didn't at his second.  None of the other 2nd birthday parties we've been to this year have either.  I think 2 would be a really hard age to sit and watch another kid open presents, plus for time savings, it just seemed easier.  I guess I'm out of touch with etiquette, because I never would have thought someone would be offended not to get to watch Liam open his presents.  I just thought it was one of those tradition things, and most people would probably rather not watch but feel like they have, and so might be relieved if we didn't do it!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it depends on age and size of the party. A five year old with 4-6 guests- yes, I think they should open at the party. But I think 2 is a really hard age b/c they don't 100% get it, and most of the guests don't get it either, so it's just asking for a tantrum from someone.

And I don't think anyone should open gifts at a birthday party if there are more than 10-12 presents to open. Then it's more like a shower, and just kind of boring to sit through!

• We did them at DS's first birthdday party but most of the kids had left by that point cuz it was getting close to bedtime for many lil ones so it was mainly just family and a few friends left so it wasn't a big deal. I have been at parties where gifts are opened with a bunch of kids and its chaos cuz all the kids want to help and play with the toys. I think this year we will either not open them at the party or will wait till the end when its mainly family that remains and if anyone sticks around after that way its not chaotic and we dotn have upset kiddos.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagenark:
    My mom suggested that next time we just open each gift as the guests walk in. That way we can say thanks in person, and the kids can play with it if it's a toy, but we don't have to do a whole sit-and-watch thing.

I like that idea a lot! That way, you know for sure that each guest was thanked in person.

I wouldn't be offended if the presents weren't open and it does make sense.  But it's probably a better idea to just say something to the effect of 'no gifts please' on the invitation if it's too much hassle.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"