Special Needs
Options

Bit of an overwhelming day

For a lot of reasons, but mainly on the special needs parenting front.Miles is 16 months now, and his separation anxiety/mommy wanting phase is kicking into MAJOR high gear. Which is great, really. Means he's developing normally like any other kid.But he's just constantly wanting me to hold him or even just be around him. If I leave the room, for whatever reason, he goes into orbit. And won't stop crying until I come get him. He's doing this at day care dropoffs lately too, which just rips my heart out every morning.Another thing...eating. I don't know what's going on with him but he's become CRAZY picky about food, which he never was before. He'd rather drink a bottle/sippy and spits out most everything we try to give him solids wise.I know he's majorly teething...he's a bit behind in that area and is catching up in a bad way. So that could be it maybe? Or maybe it's a texture issue? Or maybe he's just picky, I don't know.This stuff combined with the start of the constant coughing/running eyes and nose and me having to carry him around everywhere still when he's getting so heavy...I don't know.I know I sound like I'm whining. And maybe I am. Just one of those days I have every now and then where I feel overwhelmed and need to step back for some perspective.And vent. I need to vent. So thank you if you got this far. :)
Nora Judith 7/2/06 Miles Chauncey 4/20/09 born with Trisomy 21 - Down syndrome

Re: Bit of an overwhelming day

• Options

(((hugs)))

Some days are tougher than others, and we're allowed to vent about it.  we'd go BSC if we weren't able to right? :)

Feeding problems are the worst...seriously brutal. It could be that Miles is 16 months, and on top of that he's picky with some texture issues...again, brutal.  Heaping piles of sympathy here.

Take care of your back...lots of stretches and advil of course!

• Options

Ditto akimbo all the way. The separation anxiety thing is HARD. I remember going through it with my first (typical) son and literally he would start screaming if I even TURNED to go to the bathroom or something. I couldn't move or he was screaming. It was hard. 

And feeding issues mess with my head almost like nothing else. I don't know what it is... I think it's a kick in the gut to your mommyhood because mommies are supposed to feed their babies and it's not quite working, you know? I bet it's a phase and he'll get back to it soon. Hang in there and take care of yourself (I know, easier said than done :)). 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am sorry you had an overwhelming day. My ds had a bad afternoon at school and I was so down about it. But, you have to have bad days so you can celebrate the good ones, right? My typical dd went through that phase, where from the moment I picked her up from daycare til the moment I put her to bed, she wanted to be attached to my hip. She was also picky with her eating. Just remember, most kids as long as they are gaining weight within the normal range, the picky eating phase them too much, so don't beat yourself up over it. My dh really struggles with the feeding thing too, even if our kids ask for something to eat while they are in bed going to sleep, he will get it for them. Nevermind it is a ploy to stay up longer Big Smile. But, they know they have daddy wrapped around their finger in that respect!
  • Options
    I own a daycare and this is all very normal.  My son stopped crying at the bathroom door for me when he was 3yrs old.  My 2yr daughter throws herself down and has a fit every time we leave a room.  Both of them have an hour long fit everyday when my husband goes to work (now he sneaks out when I put them in the bath tub) Motherhood is so much harder than planned.  Good Luck.
  • Options

Sorry you had such a rough day.  I know what you mean about being both happy your LO is doing something typical kids do and frustrated by it - the separation anxiety was huge when it happened for us too, and it breaks my heart when she does it but I do take a little comfort in it being "normal" for kids...

The food pickiness might be big-time teething, and that could actually explain a little extra clinginess too.  Can you give him some tylenol about 45 minutes before a meal and see if that helps him?  I know for my DD whenever she had a big tooth breaking through her eating was the biggest place we saw it - even worse than her sleep.  Her Speech Therapist told me that kids who are teething and in pain will actually become a little lower tone in their mouths, so for a kid who is already low tone it can really affect their oral motor skills and can cause an uptick in any sensitivities for a bit...  We tried the tylenol before meals and we also gave her something cold to chew on before trying to feed her, which seemed to help.  She still slowed down a lot in her weight gain during those teething phases, though!

Finally, could the runny nose, etc., be a sign of an ear infection?  That might explain some of the extra clinginess too, and might be worth checking.

I'm all about finding ways to take some of the stressors down a notch.  :)

• Options

I'm sorry you are feeling down.....I'm right there w/ you.  I'm a teacher, and am going back to work next week.  I am totally stressed about life and about DS.  We've had a crazy summer getting some medical things out of the way. It really sucked to be honest.  I am so sick of my teacher friends telling me about the great vacations they took, and asking me how my kids are doing.  This is what I say in my head:

"it sucked.....2 surgeries and too many doc/therapy appt's to count.  Oh, and DS has hit a plateau, and at 10 months is acting like a 3 month old.  I hate that he has  Down syndrome, and I wish you would not ask me about it."

Is that over the top?  I think I need a REAL vacation!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"