Pregnant after 35
Options

CVS experiences

Hi,

I'm new to the boards and have found it comforting to read other's experiences.

I'm 36 so I've opted for the CVS testing but am wondering if someone can explain their experience with it.

First, is it painful?  I was told if done through the cervix, it feels sort of like a pap smear... uncomfortable but not painful.

If done through the belly, it feel like a needle anywhere else?

Also, how long did it take for you to get your results?  How did you get them? Via mail, phone call, office visit?

I'd love to get the "rapid result" but that would cost another $400 out of pocket so we opted to go with the regular. 

Re: CVS experiences

• Options

My CVS was through the cervix and it did hurt. It's a bit more painful than a pap smear because they are actually putting a needle into your uterus to draw out a sample. It's not that bad, but it was uncomfortably painful and I took 48 hours off without toddler lifting or stair climbing afterwards. I understand that the belly is actually less painful. I had zero bleeding afterwards, but I'm not a cervical bleeder (never bled after internals or anything).

I got the FISH testing done (insurance covered it) and got my initial results the next morning. It took 3 weeks to get the full results because of the additional testing to elmininate my cells interfering or being part of the sample since LO#2 is a girl as well.

I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options

What's the FISH testing?

Did they just call you to tell you or did you go back in? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My CVS was done abdominally.  I felt minor discomfort when the needle was going in, but it really wasn't bad at all.  The whole procedure was pretty quick.  I had some minor cramping afterwards (and it hurt when I sneezed!), but otherwise no side effects.   I spent the rest of the day in bed but was back at work the next day and then took it easy over the weekend.  Someone called with my results about 2 weeks later.

Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had it done abdominally, and it hurt more than I expected it to.  Of course, I was an emotional wreck so that didn't help :-)  But it was over very quickly, and I spent the rest of the day lounging on the couch.  I had some minor cramping, but a couple of Tylenol helped that.  My FISH results were available in 24 hours (they just tested the 4 major chromosomes that they wanted to look at) - the genetic counselor phoned us at home.  The official results were available in a week, and again the counselor called us.  HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had mine done abdominally and I thought it was painful, but quick. It was a weird sensation knowing there was a needle in there but there are no nerve endings under the skin so I felt mostly pressure. I was sore for about 2 days, mostly if I sat up too fast.

My genetic counselor called exactly one week later with the good news.

Good luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"