Alaska Babies

Rural Alaska

This is my first pregnancy and hubby and I are living up on the North Slope.  Has anybody on here been in this situation, and if so, any advice?  I'm nervous about not having the medical care as available to me since we don't live in a larger city.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
DSC_0424 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since January 2012

Re: Rural Alaska

• I don't live on the north slope, but I live in a small town in SE, where we have to travel off island to have our babies.We have a clinic and a small hospital, but if any huge emergency arises, we have to get life flighted out. (I've never been to the North Slope, so I don't know your situation 100%)

I JUST had my baby 4 days ago, and honestly it wasn't too terrible. It really helps if you have a friend in the place you are going to deliver if you have to travel to do so. I even had my baby 2 weeks early, so my husband wasn't able to make it to the actual delivery, (he was planning on coming 1 week before the due date... LONG story!) 

If I can be of any further help, since I have just gone through this, go ahead and private message me. I'll do my best to answer questions.

Happy and Healthy Pregnancy to you!! :)

• The North Slope? Are you guys in Deadhorse? If so I'm sure you know that there are flights daily out of there when weather allows. Also there's a clinic, but I don't think you would want to deliver there!

I've been out to some villages and there pregnant women spend the last month or so (depending on the pregnancy) in town just to make sure they can get there and don't get stuck because of weather.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"