High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Low (not doubling HCG) and link to genetic defects?

I had a number of blood levels drawn early in my pregnancy. Around 4 weeks my levels almost doubled, then around 6 weeks my levels were very low (8,000) and obviously hadn't doubled normally between 4 and 6  weeks. The doctor thought a miscarriage was possible, but I saw the little baby and heartbeat at 6w6days at 124 bpm and again today at 8weeks 6 days at 170-180 bpm. I also had low progesterone levels so I've been on progesterone suppositories for a few weeks and will continue until 11 weeks. I was taken aback today at my appointment when my doctor suggested I do the NT scan due to my low hcg levels. She said there can be a correlation between low levels and genetic defects. She also said I could just be one of 1/3 of women whose numbers don't double properly and have a perfectly normal pregnancy. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone in a similar situation?

TIA (and sorry so wordy)

Re: Low (not doubling HCG) and link to genetic defects?

• Options

My firs pregnancy my HCG never doubled but continued to rise, we never saw a baby. It was belighted ovum.

With Camryn my HCG was low and my progesterone was 8, I was on prometrium until 12 weeks.I never heard about anything genetic...

• Options
    From the research I've been doing (due to an abnormal NT scan) high hcg can indicate a chromosomal abnormality.
    Mom to G 10.23.06, H 9.04.08 and a baby in heaven 10.07.10 (23w due to chromosome deletion)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had low HCG with DS and DD and had to have several repeat draws.  They both turned out just fine!  HCG levels can vary with everyone, some people just have lower numbers than others.  I have never heard of these types of links but just wanted to share since I had no issues.  GL!
    Snuggling after a nap! Claira 2 yrs and Sophia 11 months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My levels never doubled with DS and were always low.  So much so that my OB didn't think it was a viable pg.  DS was a preemie, but turned out just fine. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am currently 7 weeks 3 days pregnant and am going through the same thing.
    I had bloodwork done on July 22 and July 24 to check my hCG levels.  The doctor said they were increasing but not as quickly as they would like them to.
    We had an ultra-sound on July 28th and everything on that came back 'normal'.
    I had more blood taken yesterday to check my hCG levels and then nurse called this morning to say my levels were 'reassuring'.  They went up from 7,000 to 20,000. So they've almost tripled, but it took a week and a half to do that.
    I found some reassuring information this morning from the American Pregnancy website:
    I especially liked this quote:  "Caution must be used in making too much of hCG numbers. A normal pregnancy may have low hCG levels and result in a perfectly healthy baby. The results from an ultrasound after 5 - 6 weeks gestation are much more accurate than using hCG numbers."
    Good luck!!! It feels good to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this! I have next to no symptoms so I'm always worried!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"