Arizona Babies

The "Where To Deliver" Problem

Hello Local Bump-ies

I am currently in the TTC process but have not picked out an ObGyn to call when I get a BFP (Big Fat Positive) on my HPT (Home Pregnancy Test). The problem I have found recently that is the doctor's determine where you deliver based on their contracts with the hospitals. So, not only do I have to pick a doctor, but that doctor determines where I deliver. My old ObGyn (Crossroads ObGyn *loved them*) has admitting rights at TMC. I've heard that TMC's pre/post-natal care is a joke because of the number of births they run through on a given day. I had visions of a cattle drive in my head when one of my mommy-friends described it for me.

This leaves me with St. Joseph's hospital and Northwest Medical Center. I live down south so the drive to St. Joes and Northwest Medical Center is actually the same according to Google. I am hoping that someone in this local forum will shed some helpful insight and make this decision making process a little easier for me. So far, (Hope this helps) I will choose Grace Maternity ObGyn's if I decide on NwMC and Copperstate ObGyn if I decide on St. Joes. All though, at this point.. I would be willing to research anyone else (women preferable) if anyone has any suggestions on an Ob as well.

Thank you in advance!!

Re: The "Where To Deliver" Problem

• Hi!  I live right down the road from NW Medical but am actually delivering in Jan at St Joe's because my Dr is at Copperstate!  I really like her (Dr. Brainard) and it has been so convenient because they have a blood lab on site and the equipment for the ultrasounds.  My friend is also delivering in Jan and she has a different ObGyn (still only delivers at St Joe's) and she has to go to the hospital for her ultrasounds and to a lab for the bloodwork.  The other thing I have loved about Copperstate is that they have a dedicated nurse for pregnant patients (Diane) and she has answered each time I call and patiently answers all of my questions.  If you have any questions, let me know.  This is our first pregnancy and we are so excited!
  • Sarah! I love you!!

Thank you so much. I was getting bummed that no one was answering and was worried to make the decision. I was going to go be the "not pregnant" girl doing the pregnancy tours just to see if I got a better feeling at one hospital or another.

I really appreciate your input on Copperstate. How do you like Dr. Brainard? Do you get ultrasounds often? How long do you have to wait? Do you get to meet all of the doctors so when you deliver you will at least know the delivering Doctor? Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I get to test tomorrow and was really starting to worry (I love to worry!) that I was going to find out I was pregnant and didn't know who to call for the "I just got a positive pregnancy test" Dr. phone call.

Congratulations on your first pregnancy. I really appreciate your input you have helped out so much! I can't wait to join you on your pregnancy journey and I hope I can catch up soon!  LoL 

THANKS AGAIN!! 

• Loading the player...
  • You are so welcome!  It is a big decision to choose a doctor and whether you like and feel comfortable with him/her will make a big difference.  I really like Dr. Brainard.  I like that she didn't pressure us to take all of the genetic testing - she just educated us on pros and cons, I love that she took the time to answer all of my stupid questions.  You know, the ones you make fun of pregnant people for when you aren't pregnant like "can I die my hair" and then when you are pregnant you kind of panic about anyway.  I have always liked having a female Dr better so that works out well too. 

I have had two visits for blood tests (one at 5ish weeks to confirm pregnancy and one a few days later to ensure the horomone levels were doubling) and two actual Dr visits so far (one right after 8 weeks and one right after 12 weeks).  Both Dr visits I saw Dr. Brainard but I am sure that if you want to see different Dr.s each time to get to know them, they would be happy to accomodate this, they are always so nice.  I had an interior ultrasound at 8 weeks and saw the baby, the heartbeat and both ovaries (kind of funny).  After this appointment, I also had 4 vials of blood drawn for different testing.  The second Dr visit, I had cultures, a pap smear and heard the heartbeat (the heartbeat is so amazing, you are going to LOVE this).  My appointments are every 4 weeks and the BIG one (where you find out the gender and have the anatomy scan) is at 20 weeks preg.  I never have to wait long between when I arrive for my appt and when I actually see Dr. Brainard.  I am sure she runs late sometimes if she has a suprise delivery or something but I have been lucky.  I also love that the nurse for Preg patients is so nice because, believe me, I am so OCD, I call her to find out my test results and to also ask what is going to happen at my next appt - and usually 10 more questions.

It is so convenient to have the lab and the ultrasound equipment at the same place as my Dr appts, I didn't even realize that some places don't have this on site.

I am so excited for you and wish you lots of luck!!! 

• Hello Again!

I called them yesterday and requested an appointment. We're still trying and I can't test yet anyway.. well I did but it was too early and was a BFN (big fat negative). Since I had seen Dr. Dunn back when I first moved here, they told me I can't "Change" doctors but told me if I left a message for some nurse that she could change it in their system.. Which is nice, already they were very accomodating.

I really appreciate the information you provided, this is my first time playin this game so I am sure the pregnancy nurse will just say "Sarah's asked this already ask her" :) I am the "can I dye my hair", "can I please just have 1 coke", "Is it okay to get nail polish on my toes" kind of girl as well (Thank God Google helps with that!!).

Anyway, thank you so much for all of the information you provided, it is greatly appreciated and reduces the stress on me a bit more now that I have some what of a "plan"

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I do hope to see you around in the local posts, we have to recruit more pregnant ladies for the Tucson group.. its kinda sleepy. :) I'll go around my town and sprinkle pregnancy dust. Ha Ha

Take Care, Good Luck, Congratulations and I hope to talk to you again soon! 

• Hello! I am so glad they will work with you!  You will have to keep me posted.  I wish I knew how to private message on here but I was just proud of myself for posting, haha.  If you know how, PM me every once in awhile and let me know how it all goes and if you like Copperstate.  And, also let me know if you have anymore questions.  Since all this prenancy knowledge is all so new to me too I can share as I find things out. 

I also just realized that I think we have been married almost the exact same amount of time - I got married June 9, 2007!

• You got married the Saturday after I got married! How exciting!!! June was a great month to get married. We lived in California and the "June Gloom" let up one day to allow us to have our special day. It was great.

I will PM you and keep you updated, I'm still waiting for a call back from Copperstate but worst case scenario, I can go with Dr. Dunn anyway, I've had an appointment with her before and she was nice.

To PM someone, you should see a "Repy" and "Contact" at the bottom of the posts. To PM you click "Contact" and then I get a message. I don't know how I will be notified, but we'll try it out. :)

Talk to you soon! 

•   Hi Ladies! I am new on here but like you I was also questioning where to deliver and who to chose as my OB/GYN...I've heard nothing but great things about Copperstate and am actually 5 weeks pregnant so am super excited! I made an appointment with them. They scheduled me for Aug 25th...They want me to be about 8weeks or so. But I am so glad you asked this question! I actually being referred by 3 friends of mine. Am really looking forward to it so I will also keep you posted.

Sarah: Thank you so much for posting the info on your visits. I am really hoping I get to see something on my first visit.. Am seeing Dr.Weisert...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi ILUVRUZ! Welcome!

Congratulations on your new baby! As an update, Copperstate called me back yesterday and said that they won't let me switch doctors, which is fine so now, I will be with Dr. Dunn. 

I learned a lot with my phone convo with them yesterday and thought I would share this information with the both of you. It made me feel so much better!!

I wanted to be able to meet all the doctors (Sarah, I think you and I had talked about this in a previous post) because I was afraid that I would see one doctor and then on my delivery day get whoever was "on call". Which is just my luck anyway. However, the nurse I was speaking with said that mostly you will see your own doctor at every appointment unless they're on vacation and they will tell you ahead of time when you schedule that appointment. Also, 90% of the time even if a doctor isn't scheduled to be on call on the night you go into labor, your doctor will come in for the delivery. (PHEW)

Last, personal note, took a PT this morning and last night and even though the tests say they are 80% accurate at this stage in my cycle they both had FAINT positives but the "pregnant" line was no where near the "control" line. One was like a turquoise and the other was a muted-dark blue. Anyway, looks like I'm not going to be able to find out as soon as I wanted. Since both of you are pregnant, I wondered if that happened to you. Since this is my first month TTC I'm not going to get sad about it if it doesn't happen right off the bat.

Good luck to you both, tell your babies hello for me and I can't wait to hear from you both soon.

-Sarah- I sent you a private message but they're pretty darn hard to get to when your not in a forum. You should see a "Check Private Messages" thing on the bottom left hand side of the forums section. :)

Tah-Tah for now Ladies! 

• imageBabyWillMake3:

Hi ILUVRUZ! Welcome!

Congratulations on your new baby! As an update, Copperstate called me back yesterday and said that they won't let me switch doctors, which is fine so now, I will be with Dr. Dunn. 

I learned a lot with my phone convo with them yesterday and thought I would share this information with the both of you. It made me feel so much better!!

I wanted to be able to meet all the doctors (Sarah, I think you and I had talked about this in a previous post) because I was afraid that I would see one doctor and then on my delivery day get whoever was "on call". Which is just my luck anyway. However, the nurse I was speaking with said that mostly you will see your own doctor at every appointment unless they're on vacation and they will tell you ahead of time when you schedule that appointment. Also, 90% of the time even if a doctor isn't scheduled to be on call on the night you go into labor, your doctor will come in for the delivery. (PHEW)

Last, personal note, took a PT this morning and last night and even though the tests say they are 80% accurate at this stage in my cycle they both had FAINT positives but the "pregnant" line was no where near the "control" line. One was like a turquoise and the other was a muted-dark blue. Anyway, looks like I'm not going to be able to find out as soon as I wanted. Since both of you are pregnant, I wondered if that happened to you. Since this is my first month TTC I'm not going to get sad about it if it doesn't happen right off the bat.

Good luck to you both, tell your babies hello for me and I can't wait to hear from you both soon.

-Sarah- I sent you a private message but they're pretty darn hard to get to when your not in a forum. You should see a "Check Private Messages" thing on the bottom left hand side of the forums section. :)

Tah-Tah for now Ladies! 

YAY!!! Thank you for sharing the info! Great to know...My husband wants to do a tour of St.Joe's when we go in for our apponiment. He isnt to convineced so I will let you guys know how that goes too.

Hang in there hun, We were TTC for about 3 months and when I least expected it we were prego! Are you charting down you ovulation dates that's what we did and it worked!...Hang in there and keep trying, Practice makes perfect...lol

As for the pregnancy test we took the ept digital so it was a Pregnant or Not Pregnant....I wish I could be of more help...Let me know how everything goes hun...I will keep you in my prayers, Before you know it you will be a mama 2Be...Here for ya if you need anything....

Hope to hear from you soon Big Smile hugs & kisses

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So, got my BFN this morning, I went out and got a digital pregnancy test so I didn't have to stare at the ones I got and make imaginary lines with my eyes. I was kinda bummed but this is our first month trying and I know I have a couple months ahead of me.

I didn't chart last month and that was actually a problem I ran into because I didn't know when to do "it" and when it was just for fun. We ended up starting a week earlier than we needed to since all of the things I was reading was based on a 28 day cycle and I'm a 35. Anyway.. I'm sure you don't want to hear about my cycles. Embarrassed

St. Joe's is an awesome hospital, they are the only hospital around that can guarantee having a Private room and I am pretty sure each room has a birthing tub in it so you can labor in the tub (which I've heard helps if your going the natural route). One of my friends had her baby there and I went to visit her while she was there and the room was big and private. Bummer thing is, I wasn't planning on having a baby anytime soon when I went to visit and didn't bother to nose around! 

On a positive note, I have you and Sarah to live vicariously through so when I get pregnant I'll know everything from learning with you ladies! I am very excited for the both of you and I hope you both keep me updated on your pregnancies. Private message me if you wanna talk privately but I have an ear to listen!!

Hugs and Kisses back! Left Hug

• Hi Ladies!  Wow - I did not know that with Copperstate, 90% of the time your Dr will do your delivery even if they aren't on call.  That is awesome!!

iluvruz - good luck at your appt!  I hope you get to do the ultrasound too, it was so amazing.  I carried around the sonogram with me for a few weeks because I couldn't believe it was real, haha - I know, so cheesy!  Let us know how your tour goes.  I think we will schedule ours soon too.  Are you going to take any of the classes St Joe's offers?

BabyWillMake3 - thank you for the PM intructions!  It took us 3 months too so definitely don't be discouraged.  When I had my 8 week ultrasound, they measure the baby and it auto pulls up how far along you are and your due date.  It turned out I was due two weeks later than we thought - which also meant I ovulated two weeks later than we thought.  I would consider trying the ovulation sticks (let me know if you haven't heard of them).  My friend used them and they sounded like a pain but told her exactly when she ovulated so she knew exactly the day.  As iluvruz said, we did everything digital too because I knew I would drive myself crazy guessing - I think you can get digital ovulation kits too if you decide to go that route.

I am so excited for the three of us!  Such an awesome time and I know BabyWillMake3, you will join us really soon!  My next appt is Aug 17 and I think it it is just a standard checkup where we will hear the heartbeat and then I have to give one vial of blood.  I am in countdown mode until the September appt where we find out the gender!!  XOXO to you both!

• I see Dr. Dunn and I absolutely love her.  And everyone says that St. Joe's is the best place in town to deliver.  I'm 37 and 1/2 weeks pregnant and can't wait for her arrival.  Congrats and enjoy.  Piece of advice - schedule your appointment first thing in the morning or later in the afternoon.  I've never had to wait long for an appointment after 2:00 pm.
  • I'm late on this, but I just wanted to say I really liked delivering at St Joes.  The rooms were nice and it was great to have a private room.  But not all of the delivery rooms have tubs.  I thought I'd want one (I went med-free) but I did almost all of my laboring at home and didn't even think about it when we got to the hospital.  But that's something to keep in mind when you're planning for your labor.

Good luck ladies!  :) 

• I am also late on this but wanted to chime in. I am also at Copperstate with Dr. Dunn and planning on delievering at St Joes. I am 11wks and 4 days, Ive done one appt so far and having my second at the end of the month. I like Dr. Dunn Ive been seeing her forever she nice and answers all of my questions. I am also thinking about taking the education classes and tour at St. Joes. Has anyone gone to any yet and did you like them?
  • Thanks for joining us ladies!

I am still TTC this month didn't work.. but oh well. 

Good luck to both of you and congratulations on your pregnancies. I hope you keep us all updated!

Oh!! and Welcome!!! :)

• I had my last two kids at St Joes and loved it.  I had scheduled c/s's so I don't know about the birthing rooms but the rooms you stay in are very nice.  When I had my son in 2008 they had just built the women's center and it was brand new.  I also had to stay in the hospital a couple times while pregnant due to kidney stones and had great care.  I plan on having my future kids at St Joes.  Good luck ladies!
  • Hi! I too am delivering at St. Joes. My doctors are a husband and wife team. They are so patient and lighten the mood when talking about awkward subjects. I definetly wouldn't trade them for anything. Anyway, a friend of mine delivered at St. Joes and she says thats the best. She did her research, I just took her word for it. lol. Congrats ladies!
  • Hi ManduhhMommie,

I saw some of your posts before when I was lurking in the boards. Nice to meet you!

Who are your doctors? I saw a husband and wife team in Tucson that delivered at St. Joe's but their info said they share their rotation with some other doctors (they mentioned the names but I didn't know) and that worried me. Do your doctors keep their patient list low so that they can be on call around your due date?

• I have been pregnant three times with two of them miscarriages. for my first went to vicky sherman and that was ok. not great.  for my second pregnancy i decided to go to Copperstate and was given Dr Dunn as my doctor.  Me and my husband didn't like Copperstate or Dr Dunn(not very personable). We had to wait along time for our first appointment there and then once it was time for Dr.Dunn to come in she rushed and didn't put us at ease.  She advised us that we were having a blighted ovum and she wasn't very sympathetic.  I decided once i was done with miscarriage I would go somewhere else. I then went to Scott Hutchinson office a re because i wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with me and there wasn't.  When I got pregnant with this 3rd one (which I am now 14 weeks along) they did the initial blood work for me and were great.  they recommended that i get a ob.   I had been to Dr. Martha Laird for bcps in the past so I decided to go back to her at Ironwood Obgyn.  I have two friends that she delivered there babies and they said she was great for that part of it.  they have been great.  had my first appt w/ the nurse at 6 weeks. then had a u/s at 7.5 weeks. then met w/ the dr at 10 weeks and heard the heart beat. my next appt is tomorrow.  i would rather have a good doctor that puts me at ease than be concerned where i will deliver. the reason why i chose the other one's was because they would be at st. joes, but i felt like I had bad luck each time. so i think i will be happy to go to tmc.
  • I really liked TMC, I had my little one in June. There was one cranky nurse but the rest were fantastic! I was also trying to get of the hospital as quickly as possible and get home so I didn't feel rushed... I was there the day they implemented a new computer system and it was total chaos but they were great, the birthing rooms were really nice. 

• I just joined and read your post... if its not to late. I'd really recommend calling and finding out when each hospitals labor and delievery tours are. You can tour the hospital to help make your choice.

Personally I use the UHP OBGYN clinic at UMC and absolutely love it, I delieved my first there and had wonderful care all throughout my pregnancy what I loved most was avoiding the ER for minor yet major issues that would normally require a 3+hour wait I'd be in and out in 1-2 hours depending on tests, since I could visit the Labor and delievery department starting at 20weeks. I always had the same doctor for appts and she was really caring I highly reccommend her as well as all the doctors there. Her name is Cindy Miller and I requested her this time around as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"