Multiples

'Threatening pre term labor'/shortening cervix..anyone else?

Mostly a lurker  in here, but had some upsetting news at the doc appt yesterday.  

I am 25 weeks with twin boys and  found  out yesterday my cervix has gone from a 4 to a 2 in three weeks. Then  I was hooked up to a monitor and  the contrax were coming every 20 mins or  so- which they didn't seem to concerned about...

I was given an rx of Nifedipine ER 30 mg to take every 10 hours, and go in on Monday for the q-tip test to check for a certian fluid. If I fail, I go to the hospital for an IV and  to start ssteroid shots for the lungs. I am pretty much freaking out at this point- an really not sure how my 17 month old is going to deal with this bedrest/hospital stuff. We do not  have family within 10 hours to help us...I don't know what to do.

Has anyone else had this? What did you do and how did things turn out? I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Re: 'Threatening pre term labor'/shortening cervix..anyone else?

• I went into PTL at 28 weeks and was on nifedipine and hospital bedrest until I delivered at 32 weeks. If you have not yet, I would ask your OB/peri about doing the two rounds of steroid shots to help mature your LOs' lungs.

The nifedipine worked well for a pretty long time for me, and I've heard of it working even longer. I hope our LOs stay put for a good, long time:)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cadencaden member

I've been dealing with the same thing since 22 weeks and I'm still going strong at 29.5 weeks. I'm on bedrest at home and I credit that with making it this far. It keeps the pressure off my cervix. I get FFN tests every 2 weeks (that the q-tip test) and even though I have contractions, dilation, and shortening my FFN tests have all been negative. I got the steroid shots last week when I had yet another scare, but it was precautionary.

I know it's really scary to think about what could happen, especially when hospital bedrest would be such a giant PITA for your situation. But I still think you have a good chance of passing that FFN test.

• Loading the player...
  • Me!

At 27 weeks, my cervix had gone to a normal length (they never told me what) to 2.something (they never told me the exact number).  My doctor didn't worry a whole bunch, she put a pessary in and just told me to take it easy that week and they'd check it again in a week.

So I go in at 28 weeks for my cervical check and it had shortened to 1.6.  She did the FFN and sent me straight to the hospital.  Unfortunately, I don't tolerate Procardia or terbutaline, so I can't take anything for the contractions.  Long story short, FFN came back negative, but I had cervical changes (dilated to 1 cm) and having contractions every 2 minutes.  I received the steroid shots.  I was put on magnesium for a little over 24 hours and kept in the hospital for 6 days total.  With no more regular contractions and no more cervical changes, I was allowed to go home on bed rest.  After 6 weeks of bed rest, my cervix did dilate/efface a bit more (to 2 cm), but I am still pregnant and now my bed rest restrictions have been lifted.

It was difficult being in the hospital and even at home on bed rest with DS, but I've managed so far and I think he's realized I just can't do the things with him I used to right now.  Luckily we have a lot of family near us, so they've been able to help take care of him and lift some of that burden from DH.

Good luck!  Try not to worry too much and take it one day at a time.  Just wanted to let you know about a positive PTL/shortening cervix story. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At 31 weeks we found my cervix shortened from 3.7 to 1.5 and funneling and I was having tons of BH.  Four days later I was in L&D for 3 days and it decreased down to 1.0-1.2 and I had a positive FFN test (probably the test you are talking about) and given steroid shots.  I was put on 20mg Procardia every 4 hours.

Next check a few days later and my cervix was so short it was immeasurable and I was externally dilated to 3cm.  Sent to L&D again for 4 days.  Put on magnesium sulfate for a little over 24 hours to get the contrax to stop.  Put back on Procardia and sent home on strict bed rest.   

I completely thought I was delivering close to 31 weeks and then thought I was having the babies the day I was sent to L&D at 32 weeks for the 2nd time, but here I am at almost 34 weeks and keeping them in.  So, you never know.  Stay positive and anything is possible.  

I'm sure it's harder to be on strict BR with a 17 month old than a 3 yr old.  Is there anyway to get her in a preschool or have a friend help?  Maybe a nanny just for the remainder of the pregnancy?

• Thank you everyone! I really appreciated hearing that you are dealing with the same  thing I am- and that you are still going strong. Yes- that's the q-tip  test I was talking about.

I wish you all the best in keeping your kiddos put. Who knew  'bed rest' could be such a difficult thing? And so far I wouldn't mind  the Nifedipine so much but it gives me AWFUL headaches and my heart occasionally races. I guess I will bring that up on Monday.

Here's to positive thoughts all  around.

• One more story for you -- my cervix abruptly shortened at 24 weeks from over 4 to 2.1, and I started spotting and having constant, small contractions.  I started taking nifedopine and went into the hospital for a week of bedrest.  After I was released to home bed rest, I continued to periodically bleed -- sometimes a little, sometimes a LOT -- and my cervix kept shortening little by little.  The medication helped the contractions some, but they never went away and often were strong and rapid.  Let's just say that we became REALLY familiar with the L&D staff.  But, we made it to 35w2d before my water broke, and the boys were just fine!  Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. 

• WOW. That must have been one huge emotional rollercoaster. I am so glad to hear that it all turned out well, I really do appreciate you sharing your expereince. It gives me hope.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"