Breastfeeding
Options

Anyone watch Bethenny's getting married?? Drink a beer?

The nanny recommended that she drink a beer a day to help her make more milk.  Everything I have found said that you should not drink.  What have you ladies found?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Anyone watch Bethenny's getting married?? Drink a beer?

• Options
    imagetaryn30:
    The nanny recommended that she drink a beer a day to help her make more milk.  Everything I have found said that you should not drink.  What have you ladies found?  Thanks in advance!
    I've heard that but never tried, I have had a drink here or there. I used to use t he expensive test strips to check my pumped milk but now I go for the "If you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to feed" rule. Even if I feel ANYTHING I dont feed him, but I have never had to pump and dump... I did run my own little experiment with the strips and got a little buzzz going with 1/2 a glass of wine and it did detect it. about 30 mins later I felt fine and retested and it was clear...
  • Options
    imagetaryn30:
    I've heard that but never tried, I have had a drink here or there. I used to use t he expensive test strips to check my pumped milk but now I go for the "If you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to feed" rule. Even if I feel ANYTHING I dont feed him, but I have never had to pump and dump... I did run my own little experiment with the strips and got a little buzzz going with 1/2 a glass of wine and it did detect it. about 30 mins later I felt fine and retested and it was clear...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yep I have heard that.  And with DS2 when I was BF and would go to a girls night out I always had more milk than I knew what to do with.   Of course it was always after more than one drink so I had to pump and dump.

This time around if I have a low supply I am going to drink one a day to help. 

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Options

saw it and giggled!  our labor instructor (nurse) recommended a beer shake to increase supply....dark beer (she rec. Guinness) and ice cream once a day to increase supply...it was rec. to her by Jamaican nurses when she was preg.

My LC told me a glass of wine or alcohol a day was fine...I hardly drank before I was preg., so no biggie after to not drink, butI heard the same as the PP...if you feel tipsy/no nursing

• Options
    The yeast in beer is great for milk production.  Non-alcoholic beer has the same effect though.  When I was dealing with low supply, my LC told me to drink 2 or 3 O'Doul's every afternoon between 3 and 5.  It made a HUGE difference for me.
  • Options
    My pedi suggested that I have 1-2 dark beers per day, but I've read online that this is an old wives tale but that the relaxation affects of alcohol might indeed increase supply for a stressed out new mum.  I've had maybe 3 dark beers per week (not all at once) and don't notice a difference.  Interesting about the O'Douls though.  I'll have to have happy hour with my LO sometime.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard that drinking a beer can increase supply but I thought it was really strange that the nurse gave it to her while she was nursing the baby. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My mom told me this and it does work.  I definitely notice more supply, especially if I have one a few days in a row.
  • Options
    Also, as long as you're only having one (maybe 2 in a longer, 2+ hour time period), you're fine to nurse.  And if you drink it while you're nursing, it's not even going to be in your milk right away, so that's actually a fine time to drink it.
  • Options

MY ObGYn told me to do this too! I laughed when I saw this on Bethenny's show. IT's funny to me bc when i was pregnant, my OB was SUPER anal about what I ate and drink, etc. THen I have the baby and she's like, "drink a bottle of beer everyday!"

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I did this when nursing my son, but only drank 1 Guiness a night.  Oatmeal also helps with milk supply too. I did the tea, oatmeal and a beer when I was getting little milk and it worked as long as I kept it up.  I'm sure the nurse gave her a beer so quickly to calm her down lol. Love that show!
  • Options

As a lactation consultant- i can tell you from experience with a lot of women that it definitely gives great results. The yeast in the beer- especially dark beers as mentioned helps with milk supply output.

One drink will NOT hurt your baby-

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yup I've  read this  in a  few  places. The  brewer's  yeast in the  beer is  to  thank.  The  nanny gave  her blue moon beer  which  also  lists  wheat  and  oats  as ingredients. It has a positive  effect  on my  supply.  But as pp said if you're  sober enough to  drive and  don't  feel  teh effects  than  you  are  fine. And although it  looks  bad  to be  drinking while LO is  feeding, it's  the  best time  since more  time  will have  passed to the  next feeding.  It doesn't  go  right through you. 

• Options
    Sorry to be a buzzkill :D but read up: https://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html Effects of alcohol on breastfeeding and the breastfed baby * Alcohol does not increase milk production. In fact, babies nurse more frequently but take in less milk in the 3-4 hours after mom has had a drink, and one study showed a 23% decrease in milk volume with one drink (Mennella & Beauchamp 1991, 1993; Mennella 1997, 1999). * 2+ drinks may inhibit let-down (Coiro et al 1992; Cobo 1974). * One study showed changes in the infant's sleep-wake patterning after short-term exposure to small amounts of alcohol in breastmilk -- infants whose mothers were light drinkers slept less (Mennella & Gerrish 1998). * Daily consumption of alcohol has been shown in the research to increase the risk for slow weight gain in the infant. * Daily consumption of alcohol (1+ drinks daily) has been associated with a decrease in gross motor development (Little et al 1989). Current research says that *occasional* use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) does not appear to be harmful to the nursing baby. But everyday "for the sake of milk" is an outdated theory. Placebo effect, guys. Kellymom has great tips for increasing supply: https://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal-rem_f.html#hops Fenugreek,fennel, water, water, water! ect.
  • Options
    Sorry for the wall, it looked a lot cleaner before it was posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"