South Florida Babies
Options

Milk Protein Allergy

My son has a milk protein allergy.  The pediatrician changed his formula to the similac alimentum and he still has some blood in his stool.  It has gotten a lot better since I changed the formula but is not completely gone yet.  He has been on the new formula for 9 days. 

Does anyone have any experience with milk protein allergy?  How long did it take to clear up if you child had blood in their stool?

Any input would be very helpful.  The blood is making me crazy.

Thanks,

Nancy 

Re: Milk Protein Allergy

• Options

I actually did a lot of reading on this topic today because I was concerned DS might have some kind of issue with my BM.....everything I read said after switching formula is takes about 2 weeks to improve. By that you should be in the clear soon!

Good luck to you and your LO! 

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options
    Jake had a milk protein allergy and it does take 2 weeks to clear from their system. I was breastfeeding but eventually switched to formula at 8 months. We tried Alimentum but he still reacted so we had to switch to Neocate which was finally the cure. At 1 he outgrew the allergy, good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My son had a severe allergy when he was born.  I was breastfeeding but with all the restrictions they told me to eliminate my supply took such a hit.  SO I pumped and we also had to go straight to Neocate which is a completely predigested formula.  It is only available by prescription but I was able to buy directly from the supplier to try and cut down costs.  4 years ago it cost 200 a week. So it was a bit pricey.  I gave him that and breastmilk.

Good luck I know how scary the blood in the stool can be not to mention how they are in pain.. :(

• Options
    This happened to a friend. She had to switch to formula at about 2 months. I'm not sure how long it took for the stool to go back to normal, but the formula helped tremendously.  At about 6 months, I believe they were going to introduce soymilk.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"