D.C. Area Babies
Options

Sorry for a repeat - Sleep regression...

So DS has hit this silly 9 month sleep regression thing.  We had made serious progress in our sleep training.  I could put him in his crib, wide awake and he would peacefully go to sleep on his own.  He would also sleep from 7:30p to 6:30a without so much as a whimper.  The past few nights he is waking/restless and our naps are desastor.  He is currently screaming and very very very pissed.  I am not a big CIO'er, but in the past I have let him complain and he usuallly stops within 2-3min.  

Should I....

a) Let him scream a bit longer and he will eventually settle, as to not ruin our sleep training.

b) Go in and rock him and let him fall asleep in my arms, and have him nap that way so at least he gets some sleep...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sorry for a repeat - Sleep regression...

• Options
    I would set a time limit - maybe let him cry for five minutes and then go in? We haven't CIO yet (hides head in shame).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    When my DD regresses there is always a reason.  9 times out of 10, it's teething.  The other time has varied from change in routine to sick to learning something new and wanting to practice. Could the same be true here?  If it's teething, I've found that Tylenol sometimes helps her calm back down and fall asleep.  It doesn't always work, the molars coming in being the exception.  Those really bothered her.   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ugh, we are right there with you...last night was the worst he has slept in months, and this morning was a lousy 30 min. nap, this afternoon does not look like it's going to be much better...

I'll let him fuss for a while, but when he starts the really serious crying I'll only let him do it for 5 minutes. I had been able to just go in and pat his back and that would help him settle, but even that has been a fail the past few times. So now we are back to rocking if he's still upset after 5 min - and letting him fall asleep...I know it's not great, but it's what's helping him sleep. I do think he has some more teeth coming in.

So, as usual, I have no answer, just sympathy!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageHey Jellisy:
    When my DD regresses there is always a reason.  9 times out of 10, it's teething.  The other time has varied from change in routine to sick to learning something new and wanting to practice. Could the same be true here?  If it's teething, I've found that Tylenol sometimes helps her calm back down and fall asleep.  It doesn't always work, the molars coming in being the exception.  Those really bothered her.   

THIS! Always teeth or big change in routine (for us changing daycare classes). I find that usually it's teeth and although we have used CIO, I usually wait 5-10 minutes and if she hasn't soothed or if she starts escalating, go in, give Tylenol, rock her, etc. Usually it passes within a week and she goes back to being a good self-soother which makes me think there is something bothering her and not that she is changing her underlying habits. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagetomandcourt:
    I would set a time limit - maybe let him cry for five minutes and then go in? We haven't CIO yet (hides head in shame).

No shame!  I won't CIO either!  I will, however let him fuss it out, particularly since he's decided that bed=freedom to not nap.

But to answer: I rocked BabyCrown to sleep forever, it was the only way to get him to take a decent nap (and I'd rather lose 20 minutes of my time that way than an hour because he wouldn't sleep).  So if he's really not going down, rock him if you have to.  I have come to the conclusion that because babies go through so many changes, you're not going to ruin their sleep habits for rocking, rocking w/bottle, etc. in order to get them to sleep when they're young.  Sometimes you've got to do whatever it takes to make sure that they're getting sleep and you're getting a break!

• Options

He finally got himself to sleep.  With some rocking, fussing, and general crabbiness he crashed.  I actually enjoy rocking him , and probably would have taken a nap in the glider with him if I didn't have 100000 things to do (isn't that always the way it happens??).  I am glad to hear that this is probably just a stage and he will go back to my happy easily sleeping baby :)

As always DC bumpies rock! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"