Postpartum Depression
Options

panic attacks...

for those of you who suffer from panic attacks, what do you do when they strike? i'm on medication, but i still suffer panic attacks every time i lay down to nap. my heart starts racing and i have trouble breathing, I have to focus on my breathing to try and slow it back down...

any suggestions on ways to help myself calm down and relax?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: panic attacks...

• Options
    I was suffering from panic attacks as well and would have to do the same thing. Remain calm and breathe deep and most times it would stop. This works fine and all but they started happening more and more. Then it would happen for now real reason. I was in the doctors office for something else and mentioned it to the doctor because everyone kept telling me to talk to him. He started me on an anti-depressant that I take once a day, and xanax for when I start having an attack or feel one coming on. I just started them last night and so far I am ok, I am pretty sure the anti-depressants are causing some insomnia because my brain wouldn't shut down last night. Hopefully it all works out. You really only have a few options: talk to a therapist, get medicated (either meds or natural cure), or continue what you are doing. I know it all sucks and I hope you are able to find a way that works for you.
  • Options

i suffer from panic attacks as well. every time i feel one coming, i close my eyes and take 3 deep breaths. by the end of the 3rd, i tell myself that i'm in control, that this will soon pass and that i'm strong and will overcome this. i focus on my breathing say a bilbe verse out loud or something that will give me strengh to fight the panic. i haven't had a panic attack since last december. remember that you are in control and you will fight the attack. best of luck my dear, stay strong!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I find breathing and getting out for a walk helps. But I didn't actually have any dramatic improvement with my panic attacks until I did EMDR therapy and now the only time they hit is when I go through a major life change. The EMDR cured almost all of my triggers. The results were instant and have lasted many years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"