Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

BITING!! UGH!!!

I am a stay-at-home mom and just recently started watching a 21 month old girl. I have been watching her since May. She has always bitten, but lately it has increased- usually it over a toy that she wants that another child is using. The other kids are becoming scared and very paranoid when she is around. I watch her like a hawk and she still continues to bit, even right in front of me. When I get down to her level and tell her "no bite" and put her in time out she seems completely oblivious and looks right through me. I have tried raising my voice and she just isnt getting it, she has no reaction at all, no matter what my approach is.

Any advicw would be great. Also, how long should I put up with this? I know that biting is normal, my child has bitten, but he very quickly learned the behavior was wrong and he doesnt bite anymore. This little girl is not decreasing the behvior and I dotn know how much longer I should let her come into my home before I decide its not working out.

Re: BITING!! UGH!!!

• Options

I'm interested in seeing the responses.  My daughter bit like a typical child would.  And like you said, did it a few times but learned quickly it was not ok.

My son on the other hand.  Bites non-stop! Has even broken DD's skin.  He does little love bites sometimes when he gives hugs and kisses and other times he bites to get attention or when he's mad.  I've said "no bite" very sternly.  Take him away from whatever he wants. put him in "time out" I'm at a loss!!!!

• Options

One thing I've read about biting is to pay attention to the biting "victim" and not the biter. They do it for attention (or out of frustration) and if you make a big deal over the person they bit, it's supposed to deter the biting. I haven't tried this but if saying "no bite" hasn't worked then I guess it can't hurt. Then later when she's not mad say things about biting our food but not our friends. I'd say that the less you make a big deal about it, the better.

Also, could she be teething? My DS bit a lot (us, toys, furniture) when he was getting his 2 yr. molars. That could be the reason she doesn't seem to get that it's wrong... it might just be a physical reaction.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks for the responses. I really am at a loss and I will feel horrible if I have to tell this little girl's mom that I cannot handle her daughter's biting anymore. But, it isn't fair to my own son and daughter to continue to bring this toddler into THEIR home and hurt them all day long and make them feel unsafe in their own house. It's a crappy situation, but this is the first child I have come into contact with that hasn't stopped the behavior within a couple weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"