2nd Trimester

Memory foam mattress topper - anyone?

I'm searching for solutions to the discomfort I feel when sleeping on my side. Two pregnant friends suggested a memory foam mattress topper, but the two things holding me back are the price and the potential emission of stinky/harmful VOCs from the foam. (I wasn't aware of that potential problem with memory foam, but a third pregnant friend was pretty adamant in NOT getting a topper for this exact reason so who knows.) Anyway - do you have one, and does it help with any hip pain you might feel when sleeping at night? Brand recommendations?

Re: Memory foam mattress topper - anyone?

• We've had a Tempur-pedic mattress for a few years now and we still love it.  I do still have to use a pillow between my legs to help with hip discomfort though.  It was a little stinky at first but the smell went away after a few days, and if you're just getting a mattress pad, you should be able to let it air out, like PP suggested, in a spare room for a few days. 

My only complaint is that it gets hotter than a normal mattress.  If we didn't have air conditioning, I would never be able to sleep on it.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Have you tried sleep with a body pillow between your needs to take the pressure off your hips? 

I had a type of memory foam topping with my first pregnancy and we tossed it after we moved. Now I am pregnant with number two and we do not have the top. I honestly can not tell the difference. The best thing for me is having a pillow between my knees and then a long body pillow pushed up against my back.  

Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTexasLadyBug:

Have you tried sleep with a body pillow between your needs to take the pressure off your hips? 

I had a type of memory foam topping with my first pregnancy and we tossed it after we moved. Now I am pregnant with number two and we do not have the top. I honestly can not tell the difference. The best thing for me is having a pillow between my knees and then a long body pillow pushed up against my back.  

Yeah...used the pillows up until week 25 and they've suddenly lost their magic. They help with back pain but not hip pain.

• imagesfbetht:
    imageTexasLadyBug:

Have you tried sleep with a body pillow between your needs to take the pressure off your hips? 

Yeah...used the pillows up until week 25 and they've suddenly lost their magic. They help with back pain but not hip pain.

Are you sleeping on a firm mattress?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would classify it as sort of firm. It's an older mattress, one we've had for a while, so it's not super firm and new - but it's not so old that it's caving in from softness, either.
  • imagesfbetht:
    I would classify it as sort of firm. It's an older mattress, one we've had for a while, so it's not super firm and new - but it's not so old that it's caving in from softness, either.

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm a side sleeper anyway, so DH and I actually have a mattress that is firm on one side for him and soft on my side for me. 

You will probably have to bite the bullet and go with the foam in order to get any relief.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have one made by Biopedic that we absolutely love!  It definitely gave off a chemical smell the first few days we had it, but it went away quickly (we got it before I was PG, so VOCs weren't an issue then).  If you're worried about the VOCs, I would recommend just taking it out of the box and letting it sit out in another room for a week or so before putting it on your bed.

We got ours through Overstock.com.  They have a HUGE selection of them for much reduced prices (I think ours was $120, marked down from over $300).  Make sure to buy one that is at least 3" or 4" thick.

• I've heard that they can get hot.

Some nights I sleep on the couch -- mixing it up helps a little?

• We got one at Costco on sale for like $140? We aired it out in the guestroom for several days then it was fine. It feels good to sleep on but I am having trouble getting in and out of bed because now I'm higher off the ground (and I'm a little short). I just got a body pillow and that has helped a lot. Another consideration, we're taking the memory foam topper off once I hit 37 weeks. If my water breaks on it then it's pretty much ruined.

• good call on the water breakage...never thought of that, haha. I decided to get one and try it out. anything is better than my current situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"