Minnesota Babies
Options

S/O - Permanent birth control

A post on the nest got me thinking...

At what point in your life would you be ok with getting permanent birth control?

Obviously if you have a health issue that contradicts pregnancy, that is one thing.  But otherwise, how do you know that you are for sure done?

I can't see myself making that choice before 35.  There are too many what-ifs!

So, what do others think?

Re: S/O - Permanent birth control

• Options
    ZoebotZoebot member

i'm of the mindset that if God wants me to have another kid, i'll have another kid, even if i've had a hysterectomy... (not that i've heard of *that* happening, but i've definitely heard of women who've gone on permanent birth control/tubes tied/husband got snipped/etc that still got pregnant afterwards.)

we'll see how things go with this birth/baby, but DH and i are thinking after 3 or 4 we're done (whether that means permanent birth control for me or the snippity for him we have yet to determine). we'll see what God has to say about it once we hit that mark. Stick out tongue 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Personally I never thought I'd want many (or maybe any) kids, but b/c I'm not sure I'll always feel that way, I don't think I'd decide b4 30 or after another kid (I always thought of 2 as my limit). Although I wouldn't mind so getting a vasectomy and freezing some sperm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're done at one and I won't have anymore once I am 30.  I am about 110% sure of this decision, so I'll wait until they'll let me do permanent B/C and do it just to make sure.
  • Options
    imageBeccaMarie:

Obviously if you have a health issue that contradicts pregnancy, that is one thing.  But otherwise, how do you know that you are for sure done?

I think, even if DH and I say we're done, I still wouldn't want either of us to get anything permanent done. It's morbid, but I brought up this to DH during one discussion: What if he and the kids are driving and get into a terrible accident and they all die? Someday, after I've healed, I may find a new relationship and marry and want children again. And if I do something permanent, then that's not an option! I just hate the what-ifs and as horrible as they are, I can't help but think of them. It's one thing to not want more kids, but it's quite another to not be able to.

Mom to Jace (7/2004), Cade (2/2009) and baby girl (5/2019)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

DH and I spent a lot of time talking about this while I was pg with #2. We had always said we were only going to have two and if  I was going to be the one to have something permanent done, it was going to be durning the course of number 2's arrival.

There were many things that went into our decision: our age, our income and what we want for our kids. DH and I were both raised in private schools and we want that for our kids as well. We knew affording private school for more than 2 was out of the question. We were both 34 when #2 was born and both of my experiences with being pg had been challenging. (I had pre-e the 1st time and GD the scond.)

After we decided I would have my tubes tied, I had to come to terms with it. I felt bad that I was giving up the ability to have more kids, but in the end I knew we were making the right decision for all the right reasons.

And now, two years after the decision, we've never looked back. Two kids keep us so busy and they are still really young. I am sure our life will keep getting busier as the years go by.

If we some day decide we have the resourses to raise a 3rd child, we have always said we would be open to adoption.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"