Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Stroller...yes or no in airport?

DH and I are flying with DS tomorrow.  We are checking two suitcases.  Our carry-ons will include...

Two shoulder bags

My purse

Evenflo Triumph carseat

26 lb toddler

DH asked if we had to take the stroller.  We are flying from Chicago to Denver.  I know the walk at Midway isn't terribly far to the gate, but how is it in Denver?  I thought we would also use it as a highchair in the hotel.  All we have is a Chicco Cortina, so it is pretty big.

I guess, worst case scenario, we buy a small stroller when we get there.

What would you guys do?

Re: Stroller...yes or no in airport?

• Options
    Get a cheap 20 dollar stroller...It's free to check. What are you going to use when you get to your destination?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    When I flew with just 1 kid - I  took our chicco umbrella stroller.  When I travel with both kids I took my PandT double.  I don't think we could have done it without a stroller, even at Midway.  I like having it cause it keeps LO contained.  Or you can take a sling??  I have traveled with my kids lots of times and I always take the stroller.  They will check it at the gate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Last month we took the Quinny Zapp, very happy we had it.
    Marissa Marie 9/27/08
    Caleb Wolfgang 12/6/12
    Baby #3 Due Date: ? TBD at ultrasound on 10/30
  • Options
    I have never brought a stroller through the airport because, like your DH, it just seems like a pain to me on top of everything else.  I have an ergo that I bring so I can carry DD and still have my arms free for other things if necessary.  I also got one of the Go Go Babyz, which basically turns your carseat into a stroller for the airport.  I have mostly flown alone with DD, and I just can't imagine taking her, a carseat, a stroller, and all of the other necessary carry-ons, especially since I can't get a direct flight anywhere so I would have to haul it all through out layover airport as well.  If I traveled more with DH, I might reconsider the stroller.
  • Options
    We flew from CA to KS last Christmas and took an umbrella stroller.  We didn't have a carseat to add to the mix, though.  I'm so glad we had the stroller, however, because even when Ayden didn't want to sit in it, we could put our carry on bags in it rather than having to carry everything.  It was easy to check at the gate and pick up upon landing.  Plus, we needed it at our destination.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Wear kiddo :-)  I'm not a stroller user though so I may be biased.

ETA: I flew solo last month with kiddo, a rolling carry on, a diaper bag and his car seat - and trekked across the entire Charlotte airport to make my connection - no problems ;-)

• Options
    We are flying next week for the first time.  We are taking out Peg Perego.  No one bought DD a seat on the plane so she is riding on my lap and when we have to take the 10 minute taxi ride to the cruise ship I am going to hold her.  We are going on a week long cruise and the cabin is not big enough for us to store the seat.  My cousin has flown with her son when he was 3 and he sat on her lap. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kit443kit443 member
    Some of the gates in Denver can be a bit of a hike. I would bring a stroller, either the one you have or a cheap umbrella.
  • Options
    We just flew through Denver with the Evenflow Triumph and brought the Chicco Cortina.  YES, bring the stroller.  Denver airport is HUGE!  We carried our daughter through the airport and used the carriage to put the bags and carseat in.  The car seat is very awkward to carry around.  BRING THE STROLLER, you will be so happy you did.  And, make sure you gate check both the car seat and stroller.
  • Options
    Heck, if you have the Ergo use that!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I've flown with DD a lot (often by myself). I used to bring the stroller every time but for the second last trip I just gate checked the stroller and the last trip I didn't even bring the stroller at all. I mostly just wear DD. It's so much easier without a stroller. The last time we flew I just had a rolling carryon and I wore DD on my back. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    I've never flown with a stroller and it's worked out just fine.  I do bring my babyhawk carrier so I can strap on DS when I need my hands free.  I don't use strollers much anyway because you're limited to where you can go with smooth surfaces, and DS never wants to sit in them anyway so I end up pushing an empty stroller.  You can always get an airport cart to help get your stuff to the gate.  We did that last time and it really helped.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You'll want the stroller. We fly out of DIA all the time and I wouldn't be without it. From the gate you'll have a hike to the train, which you'll take to the terminal/baggage claim. It's an easy trip if LO is contained and on wheels.
  • Options
    Take the stroller! Depending on what gate you end up at in Denver the hike could be super long!
  • Options
    we've traveled with LO several times, and have always taken a stroller. we always need it at our destination, and it's very helpful to have in the airport. DIA is a pretty big airport, so i'd definitely want to have one. we usually take our umbrella stroller, unless it's a longer trip or we're driving out to california, then we take our quinny.
  • Options

Bring it!

I've flown with DD 12 times since she's been born and we have the Chicco Cortina and I've had it all but one time and the one time I didn't I decided to try using just an umbrella stroller and it was big PITA. Yeah you have to collapse the stroller at security, but it takes no time and they've always been super helpful :) You'll like having the handle bar to put a bag on and the basket underneath and you can gate check it for free. Denver is a really big airport, I've flown through there on connecting flights before - I'd definitely want a stroller - especially with everything else you are taking. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would bring it.  When we moved here we had the stroller, car seat and what seemed like a million bags.  We mailed some stuff ahead of time but since we were making a major international move with stopping in another city first we had a lot we needed.  Before we got to check out luggage I had my daughter in the babyhawk and the car seat, diaper bag etc was on the stroller.  Once we checked our stuff my husband carried the car seat and laptop bag and I pushed the stroller.  She had her own seat on the plane but for the second flight we ended up gate checking her carseat and held her since our seats were way in the back and it is a pain to carry the seat that far back having 3 kids and carry on things.  Like others said, Denver airport is huge so you may end up regretting not having it.  Oh, and I had my regular stroller which is pretty big but folds small, Peg Perego P3.  
  • Options
    magretmagret member
    Last year I brought DD home (Atlanta to Chicago) and am so happy I had my stroller.  It was great having the space in the basket to put the diaper bag, so I didn't have to carry it.  They will check it at the gate so it doesn't really matter how big the stroller is.  GL
  • Options

I would absolutely bring the stroller.  You can hang your bags on it and if LO doesn't want to ride in it- put the carseat in it.  For every flight we have taken, we bring the stroller (we fly out of O'Hare though- but I still would bring it).

Also, depending on your hotel, ask at the front desk if they have a highchair they can bring to your room.  If they have a restaurant on site, they'll likely give you on (I've gotten one everytime I've asked).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"