Working Moms
Options

::stumbles onto board:: and a WWYD re:daycare/sick kids

Hi Ladies,

I have been SO sick.  Had my work retreat last week, it was awesome, but I had a cold the whole time.  Left on Weds morning and my DD was just coming down with pinkeye.  Awesome timing.  Total mommy guilt on that one, going away on a fun work trip while my baby is sick.  Still, even though I had a cold, I had fun.  We went on a brewery tour, ate a ton of great meals, did some team building, and golf and spa.  So fun.  I even squeezed in some pool time for myself.  DH and DD were both sick, so DH actually spent the night at his Mom's house while I was gone.  Poor guy.

The 26th was our 5 year anniversary, so DH and I went away for the weekend to a totally romantic lodge... slept the entire time, we could barely even eat at all, so sick.  Not very romantic, haha.

Sunday night DH laid down to go to sleep, and said he couldn't breathe, so I took him to the emergency room.  We were there from 9pm-2am.  They gave DH 2 liters of fluids, ran a bunch of tests and x-rays, didn't see any pneumonia, but did give him some antibiotics.  He was very dehydrated.

Monday morning DH woke up with pinkeye.  Monday night I had it too.  It's been a very rough few days.

So today was going to be my first day back at work in over a week.  I got a text from our DCP this morning saying that her kid was sick, and was it possible for us to keep our DD home today.  DCP has a backup provider on call, and she was going to be there at 10am.  I have been out of work for a week and really needed to come in and get some things done.  I called her, told her I couldn't keep DD home, as I really had to go to work.  We don't have any other family or friends that could have watched DD today on short notice, and I really didn't want to take today off also.  It sounded like she understood.

My question: WWYD?  Should I have kept my kid home with me?  I kind of feel bad for sending my DD in today.  Should I feel bad?  Should I stop and pick up something (cookies, flowers?) for my DCP tonight?  Would you have taken off a 3rd day from work?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: ::stumbles onto board:: and a WWYD re:daycare/sick kids

• Options

Sorry about all the sickness, that sounds miserable! Hope you're all better soon!

About your provider, she said the backup would be there at 10am, right? So why would you have had to keep your DD home all day? Was there a way you could have just gone in to work later? That's what I would have done, just gone in late, but I don't know what your work situation is. Also, what is the other child sick with? I would be concerned about exposing your DD to more germs after she just got over something.

But then you do what you have to do. Cookies are always appreciated if you feel bad.

• Options

Ugggg that is a hard one. I'd feel the same as you. I'd feel guilty for sending DD in but feel bad for being out of work so much. Is it just the past 2 days you where out? If so I might of taken the extra day if you could.

Try not to beat yourself up. I think cookies are a nice gesture to give DCP. I hope you all are on the mend soon.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, I was out of the office for 3 days last week because of a work trip, then out Mon and Tues because I was so sick.

I guess I could have taken her in later at 10am, but DH usually does drop off at 8:30 before he goes to work, and I was literally walking out the door at 8 to leave for work.  So I would have had to hang out at the house for 2 hours, and then the daycare is completely out of my way, in the other direction from work, so I wouldn't have gotten to work until about 10:45 am, I just didn't want to be that late after missing so many days lately anyway.

DCP's daughter had a fever overnight, and the fever was responding to Tylenol.  I think DCP had been up all night with her sick kid and was tired and not wanting to do daycare today (which I totally understand) and that's why I feel bad.

Ok, I will bring her cookies tonight.  Thanks everyone.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would have just taken off another day.  I'm not saving lives here, if somebody has to wait a day or two for a report, tat's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.   Life happens, things are inconvenient. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would have done the same. I think it depends on the kind of job you have. If it's all still going to be there, and no one fills in, it's hard not to go in after that long, when you weren't planning to be out.

[[[HUGS]]]]

• Options

Maybe I'm heartless, but I wouldn't have brought my DD in only because I wouldn't want her around a sick kid (even if she stays in another room, that's still the ill child's house, right. I'm sure she wasn't in her room the whole time she's been sick). I know germs/sicknesses are inevitable in daycare, but daycare centers have sick policies for a reason and I wouldn't choose to send my kid somewhere where I knew there was illness. Nor would I want to have other kids running around my house when I was tending to my sick child (but then again, I'm not running a daycare, I guess..)

We used an in-home DCP for almost two years, so I definitely know how inconvenient it is when those things happen. However I would have just went in late and worked a half day. It is what it is, like the pp said, it's not life or death and that's just the way things happen sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"