Babies on the Brain

Video got me thinking (religion mentioned)

Do you think the loud, screaming, speaking in tongues, "healing hands of jeeeeeeeeze-sus" religious crowd does more to help or harm the general stereotype of religious people?  (These are obviously Christian groups, hence the Jesus comment, but I know there are these types of people in most sects...except for Buddhism.  I don't imagine it would happen then.)

(Spawned from an "inspirational" video an old HS friend posted on FB) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuv5TnWeoLY&feature=related 

lol @ follow-up video when the pastor clarifies the "miracle" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U30TvWXO59c&feature=related

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  

Re: Video got me thinking (religion mentioned)

• There is no doubt in my mind it does more harm.  And to speak personally, it turns me off.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Absolulely. For example I had a few co-workers that were Mormon and everyone assumed that they were in favor of pologomy, when they weren't at all. 

It is the extremists that always get the most attention and because of that we tend to generalize religious groups by what we are fed by the media. Not every sect of religion acts that way.

Religion is a topic that everyone just tips toes around because we are so worried we might offend that we don't stop to think that in order to really teach tolerance we need to include teaching about different religions too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSchwandy:

... in order to really teach tolerance we need to include teaching about different religions too. 

While I didn't enjoy my youth pastor as a whole, one thing I did like about him was his insistence to do studies on other religions.  Now, he focused on the differences between Baptists and other religions, and why we "were better", but it did open eyes in the youth group about other religions.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"