1st Trimester

Would you buy a used breastpump?

Provided you got new tubing, membranes, etc??

There is a medela Pump in style on my local craigslist for $50.  I'm thinking about jumping on it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you buy a used breastpump?

• well people do rent them
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • There are a lot of people who do, but for me I don't think I could do it.
  • No
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • ReeseMReeseM member
    No way. Spend the money and buy a new one. You will be able to use it for numerous children provided you get a good one.
  • I would if it had a closed system - I don't think that the Madelas do, to be honest.  I have a Lansinoh, (same as the Ameda Purely Yours) and I bought a second one used when I dropped my original and thought I'd destroyed it.  Both still work (after some tinkering by DH).
  • No.  If a really really close friend or family member gave me their used but sterilized pump, I would accept it.  But I would not buy one from a stranger.
    PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No.  If I really did not have the money I maybe would buy a Ameda because its a closed system but you can buy one brand new for around $150. 
  • In the minority here, but I got a used one and I'm glad I did. BF was a huge fail for me and I would have thrown my money away buying a new pump. If you do plan on going new (unless you plan on having 3+ kids and you feel strongly about BF), I'd wait until after baby is home and you know you plan on continuing BF for a long time. 65% of moms BF in the hospital, but only 27% are still BF after 6 months (with only 8% EBF at that point). Therefore, the majority of moms who buy expensive pumps are wasting their money. When you spend $300+ on a pump and most are BF for under 6 months, it's cheaper for most to FF. Not a cost effective purchase unless you're doing it long term/for multiple kids.

With new tubing, etc. I don't see it being a huge issue. If you see/understand how pumps work, that stuff about it being dangerous to buy a used pump is pretty out there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nope. 

But I also wouldn't buy one prior to knowing that BFing was working out either. It ended up that I needed one right away with Kennedy (I had massive oversupply and needed to pump before nursing her), so DH ran out and got one after he dropped her and I off at home. Our plan had been to wait until closer to me returning to work though.  

• imageKC_13:

In the minority here, but I got a used one and I'm glad I did. BF was a huge fail for me and I would have thrown my money away buying a new pump. If you do plan on going new (unless you plan on having 3+ kids and you feel strongly about BF), I'd wait until after baby is home and you know you plan on continuing BF for a long time. 65% of moms BF in the hospital, but only 27% are still BF after 6 months (with only 8% EBF at that point). Therefore, the majority of moms who buy expensive pumps are wasting their money. When you spend $300+ on a pump and most are BF for under 6 months, it's cheaper for most to FF. Not a cost effective purchase unless you're doing it long term/for multiple kids.

With new tubing, etc. I don't see it being a huge issue. If you see/understand how pumps work, that stuff about it being dangerous to buy a used pump is pretty out there.

Amen! I bought mine used off of Ebay when I was in Japan, a Medela pump in style. I did have new tubing with it, and boiled what I could after that. Being military, we don't have $200 to drop on a brand new breast pump. I only spent around $100 including shipping, and it worked perfectly for 2 babies. Unfortunately, I've given it to a friend since and will have to buy another one, but I know that Medela is worth the money and replacement tubes are pretty inexpensive.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I would not.
  • Not from a stranger.  I might from a family member or close friend.
  • No.  Gross.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Eh. My SIL bought the brand new medela pump & used it for 2 days after her milk came in & gave up on pumping.  She gave the pump to me since I am going to try to stick it out BF.  The hospital that I will deliver @ will send me home w/ all new tubes for the pump @ no charge so I am definitely going to use it.  :)  It's all preference I guess.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SIL is getting rid of her baby stuff since her youngest is now 1 yr old. She is saving her portable battery pump for me, but she only got it for her youngest who was 2 1/2 months preemie and only used it for 2 1/2 months when she and BIL were driving 1 1/2 hours each way to the hospital where her LO was in NICU. She said her pumping schedule made it so she could pump in the car on the way up and home. She is a SAHM so after LO got out of the hospital she almost exclusively breastfed. I figure that I know her, I know she is healthy and her girls are healthy, and if I do breastfeed I will prob end up getting a bigger double pump. But it is a nice pump to start off with since I WILL have to start working at least a few hours a week right after my LO is born
  • imagemelnericproper:
    SIL is getting rid of her baby stuff since her youngest is now 1 yr old. She is saving her portable battery pump for me, but she only got it for her youngest who was 2 1/2 months preemie and only used it for 2 1/2 months when she and BIL were driving 1 1/2 hours each way to the hospital where her LO was in NICU. She said her pumping schedule made it so she could pump in the car on the way up and home. She is a SAHM so after LO got out of the hospital she almost exclusively breastfed. I figure that I know her, I know she is healthy and her girls are healthy, and if I do breastfeed I will prob end up getting a bigger double pump. But it is a nice pump to start off with since I WILL have to start working at least a few hours a week right after my LO is born

How do you KNOW she's healthy?  I would be asking her for recent blood tests before sharing equipment that pumps bodily fluids.   

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • I agree with PPs on waiting til you know the BF is going to work.  My sister bought hers pumped for hours and never got anything.  I got my MPISA from a close friend who used it for a couple of months.  I got new tubing and I was fine with it.  DS was never sick or anything. 
  • I wouldn't personally. I would if it was a friend or family. You can get a good price around christmas time on Medelas.

Let tell you a secret. BFing is not easy. I don't know who ever said it is BUT it is the best thing ever for you and baby. A lot of women give up because it's hard...I struggled with DD the 1st three months. We finally got the hang of it and hung on for 12 months 1 week. It was the best thing ever! Get a pump don't open it. Also make sure you take advantage of the free help from the LC at the hospital and your local LLL. They come to your house for free! They are awesome! SOe can be a little over the top but they are very knowledgable.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • scorchscorch member
    I would so get it.  Fifty bucks is a steal.  I borrowed one with my first baby, and had all the tubing that I brought home from the hospital.  No milk ever goes through the pump and I think its safe. 
  • The pump part of a pump just creates suction and does not touch bodily fluids. I rented mine from the hospital for 4 months (using new tubing and cups they provided) and it worked great. I'm not sure how well a non-hospital-grade pump would work after its been used by someone else for a while, though.
  • In a quick, non-technical answer: The ones you get from the hospital can be used by multiple people because the fluids only come out and can not/don't get stuck.  The "home ones" can save the bacteria (even if it has been cleaned over and over) and come out with your fresh breast milk.
  • Never.  I don't care if all the tubes are changed and everything, it just skeeves me out.
    imageimageimageimage
  • yes.  i used a friend's last time.  the medela PIS is a closed system, so as long as you replace the tubing and shields, there is no risk.  i would jump on it for sure.
  • imagekrys2729:
    yes.  i used a friend's last time.  the medela PIS is a closed system, so as long as you replace the tubing and shields, there is no risk.  i would jump on it for sure.

I don't know where you heard that from, but it is completely false. The Medela PIS is NOT a closed system.

Medela rental grade? Yes. PIS? No.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"