Natural Birth
Options

Birth classes for homebirthers?

I got an email today from Babycenter.com for a $20 online birthing class that both my husband and I can log into repeatedly between now and the birth.  While I do want to take a birth class, as this is my first baby, watching the free demo got me thinking -- what do homebirth mommies do for classes?  I've noticed that many of the hospitals in the area have weekend or one day birth classes, but I would assume that those are geered for women who will be birthing at a hospital, and might not be so relevant for me?  Someone on my local bump board suggested I join the "birthing circle" for our emergency back-up hospital.  But again, I assume that is more geered to support women who plan outright to be at the hospital.

Any suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth classes for homebirthers?

• Options
    I'm not sure about where you are but most of the doulas here have birthing and hypnobirthing classes you can take. Usually the first birthing class is free... you might want to check with some local doulas. 
  • Options
    We did Hypnobirthing classes with an instructor in our home.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Around here, there are quite a few birth classes for "homebirthers".  My midwife gave me a list.  We decided to do a "Zen Birth" class - focussing on hypno-birthing, mindfulness, and the home birth experience.  

Perhaps your midwife could suggest some local options for you? 

• Options
    I plan on doing a Bradley class.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wanted to do Bradley, but they were just too far away from where we live. So we did the hypnobabies home course. We signed up for the hospital birthing classes, but decided to cancel because they mostly teach you about epidurals and hospital policy. I also read anything about natural birthing that I could get my hands on and watched a lot of natural/home birth videos on you tube for inspiration.

As long as you do something to educate yourself you will be just fine.

• Options
    We're doing Bradley classes, but they are *really* long.  We missed the sign-up for the Hypnobirthing class, and the lady wasn't going to be doing another session, so Bradley was really our only option.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did Bradley method before #1, we were the only non-homebirthers in the class, choosing a birth center instead.  I think that this was very particular to our instructor, though, who was also pregnant with her third and doing a home birth.  But I do think that, in general, Bradley Method can be conducive to home birth since you are taking control of your labor and birth.
  • Options

Our MW recommended a class taught by a local API member called BabyBodyBirth ... it teaches methods such as Bradley, Hypnobirthing and Lamaze.

It was $165 for the entire course and we meet for 9 consecutive Mondays for 3 hours each session. So far we have covered an array of topics along with a lot of relaxation techniques. I find it very informative and totally worth the money. The class is fairly small (5 couples) and DH and I are the only ones planning a homebirth, the rest are all doing hospital births.

The instructor is also a Doula.

• Options
    You should take a natural birth method class, like Bradley (which is what I did), Lamaze, Hypnobirthing or Hypnobabies.  I don't know about the latter three, but Bradley is 12 weeks long.  Don't know when your little one is due, but you might want to look into this soon.
  • Options
    CTri17CTri17 member
    I had a HB and we didn't take classes, I read the Bradley books  , specifically Natural childbirth the Bradley way)
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    We took Bradley classes.  We birthed at a hospital but our instructor was very pro home birth.  I do not know anything about hypnobirthing or hypnobabies but I am going to look into them before our next just so I have more information.  I thought Bradley was great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Our MWs highly recommended classes based on _Birthing from Within_.  They were *fantastic*.  Great prep for any kind of birth.  Definitely geared toward those who want to go intervention-free.  (But they do tell you about interventions so you can make informed decisions and still be mindful/present if you do end up truly needing some interventions.)

I remember my MWs chatting about other classes, too.  They said hospital/lamaze classes were virtually useless.  Waste of time/money.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    I took a "natural childbirth" class at a independent center(not a hospital). It went over all kinds of techniques regardless if you were birthing at a hospital or at home. The instructor has been a doula for years so it was a wonderful class.
  • Options

imageSarahk8:
    I took a "natural childbirth" class at a independent center(not a hospital). It went over all kinds of techniques regardless if you were birthing at a hospital or at home. The instructor has been a doula for years so it was a wonderful class.

Isis?  :)

I did the same.  Truthfully, I didn't learn very much since I had already done a ton of research, but it was really good for DH. 

I also thought the class was a little bit heavy on the whole preparing to deal with hospital policies, etc., but that is understandable since all of the other people in the class were planning to give birth at a hospital or birth center. It was a bit akward at one point when the teacher asked us to state our biggest fear- which for me was that I would need to transfer to a hospital. :)

The class I took was taught by a nurse MW who worked in hospitals but was planning a homebirth (she was 36 weeks pregnant when she taught the class. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"