Health & Exercise
Options

I can't do a sit-up, but could pre baby..wth

as posted on 0-3 mo  i physically cannot do a sit up.  i try but my muscles dont even tense up--like they aren't connected to my brain... i used to be able to do a ton,.. are they likely to come back?  any ideas what is going on? i am 7 wks postpartum. thanks!

Re: I can't do a sit-up, but could pre baby..wth

• Options
    Did you have a c-section?
  • Options

It sounds like you might have a separation of your abdominal muscles which is extremely common post-partum. You will need a special set of exercises to help get the abdominal muscles back together. I would suggest getting a prescription for a women's health PT who is familiar with normal postpartum problems. In the meantime, I would not try to do any more situps as it can make the separation worse. Of course, it could be something all together different, so it's best to run it past your doctor.

Unexplained. IVF#2 worked! Beta at 10dp6dt = 154, Beta at 13dp6dt = 603 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks, I checked and the separation is only 2 finger widths so according to an online article that isn't too bad... so I'm not 100% sure it is from separation but time will tell...

And no not c-sect, regular vag. Thanks! 

• Options
    I think you have to do plank work first. Your muscles may just be very lazy from pregnancy. Mine felt the same way with my last child. I could barley lift myself out of bed at first. I've been wearing a post partum support thing and it has help a bunch. I'm only 2weeks pp so I haven't tried any exercise yet but I'm curious to see how it goes.
  • Options
    I would do only planks till 3 mo pp.  your muscles need to heel and you may make the seperation worse if you do them too soon.
  • Options
    Ditto to planks.  Did you have you're post-natal appointment, yet???  What did your Dr. say??
  • Options
    It takes up to 3 mos to get your ab muscles back in place. They had to move around to allow the baby to grow.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"