Preemies
Options

Another q- what weight did LO come home at? Special carseat?

ayramayram member
If they are under 5lbs, do they need a special carseat? It seems they would outgrow it so quickly, I'd rather not have to buy one for our last child.  Ours works for 5-22lbs.  Hopefully he will gain LOTS of weight!!
Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac

Re: Another q- what weight did LO come home at? Special carseat?

• Options
    My LO came home at 4lbs 10oz. We have the chicco key fit. I believe it's 4-23lbs.

• Options

DS was just over 4 lbs when he came home.  He was in a Graco Snugride. They're rated for 5 lbs, but he passed the test, and he's going strong, so it ended up OK.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check in with your NICU. We had gotten a Graco Snugride before DD was born, but it was rated for 5lbs and up. When it was clear she'd be coming home under 5lbs, they said we'd need to get a new carseat. She actually came home at 3lb14oz and we used the Chicco Keyfit. The Keyfit was the cheapest I could find at BRU for under 5lbs. We used it to bring her home and for a few more weeks. Once she hit 5lbs, we switched to the Snugride and returned the Keyfit.
  • Options
    I think ours was for over 5 lbs as well.  She came home at 3lb 10 oz, but since she passed the carseat test, we were able to take her home in the one we bought.  She went very few places before she hit 5 lbs since we were on lockdown anyway.
  • Options

I don't think there is a set weight, but my smaller daughter was just under 4lbs when she was discharged and didn't pass her carseat test so we brought her home in a car bed. Our NICU rented them out and we were actually able to rent one from free from a local carseat safety group.

She passed her car seat test 2 weeks later. :) My other daughter came home in the Chicco Key fit at 5lbs 5oz.

Good luck to you LO!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS came home at 4 lb 15 oz. We had the Graco travel system with the rear facing car seat that clicks into the base (we didn't use the base, I felt better strapping it in with the seat belt). The seat had extra padding for a snugger fit.
  • Options
    janjagjanjag member
    ours came home a little under 5lbs.  we passed the carseat test in the britax companion.
    Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We bought the Chicco Keyfit in preparation for DD to come home under 5 lbs., but she ended up being over that at discharge.  We love this travel system, and actually just bought the new double-stroller from Chicco.  Our hospital also offered to rent a car seat, so ask your social worker on the unit if you would rather not buy at this point. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Lily was just under 5 pounds and came home in the Peg Perego SIP 30/30.  Ditto everyone else on renting a seat.
    3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• Options
    stella was 6 lbs 7 oz (came home at 42 weeks)
  • Options
    My DS came home weighing 6lbs, 3oz. I have the Evenflo Aura. It fits really well and it comes with a head support.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Lucas was fine with the carseat requirement. Elena was 4.14 and just under the 5 pound requirement. I have the Graco Snugride. She did pass the carseat test so we got to bring her home in that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD came home at 3lbs 12 oz in a graco Safety First. It's made for 5-22 lbs, but we had the straps tight and rolled up blankets beside her to keep her snug.

We brought in another carseat for the carseat test, but were told it wasn't snug enough. We then brought in the Graco -if that hadn't worked we were going to borrow a carseat that would work from a friend just for the ride home. She grew so fast when we got home that it would have been ridiculous to buy a special carseat just for one trip! Good luck!

• Options
    My DD came home at 3lbs 15oz in the Chico KeyFit.
  • Options

My LO came home at 3# 10oz in an Evenflo Aura meant for 5-22lb.  We had to use 4 rolled receiving blankets to tuck him in and the buckle was the size of his chest, but he passed and was approved by the NICU.  Seeing photos of him so little in that seat still make me laugh. Smile

At our NICU there were carseats/beds available for loan if a personal seat didn't work.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"