Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

PIP: What the heck is this on my son?

He has these two red spots on his belly, to the right of his belly button, under his diaper. They were not there this morning so they obviously appeared sometime today. What the heck is it???

I'm kind of nervous because (flame if you want) my husband and I were having lunch today and we gave him a taste of garlic mashed potatoes. It was the tiniest bit and he didn't like it so we stopped. Do you think it could be an allergic reaction to them? He has no other visible marks nor is he acting strange, just his usual happy self.

TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy

Re: PIP: What the heck is this on my son?

• Options
    It could be hives, if it is they should be gone in the morning.  Each individual hive will last less than 24 hrs.  The bad news is if it is hives it could be caused by ANYTHING...narrowing it down is really hard.  
    Baby Boy born still on March 10, 2008 at 21 wks 2 days : ( Finley Alyse born October 11, 2009 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Declan Jonathan born October 16, 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Could it be a little bug bite? I can't tell if they are raised or not from the picture.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRach03k:
    Could it be a little bug bite? I can't tell if they are raised or not from the picture.

Not raised.

• Options
    Maybe a little bit of heat rash? Since you guys were outside, and it was around his diaper where it might have been chafing his skin a little bit? IDK.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

imagetimmylulu:
    It could be hives, if it is they should be gone in the morning.  Each individual hive will last less than 24 hrs.  The bad news is if it is hives it could be caused by ANYTHING...narrowing it down is really hard.  

If it is hives, I'm convinced it's because of the mashed potatoes, they were from Saltgrass and usually I'm very picky with what goes in his mouth but, I don't know, I thought he would enjoy it. Now I feel like a bad mom of the year.Sad Off to do some Googling about hives...

• Options
    imageGreenEyedGal:

imagetimmylulu:

If it is hives, I'm convinced it's because of the mashed potatoes, they were from Saltgrass and usually I'm very picky with what goes in his mouth but, I don't know, I thought he would enjoy it. Now I feel like a bad mom of the year.Sad Off to do some Googling about hives...

Don't freak out about it, just don't give him them again for a while.  If it is hives it could be from heat, stress, air borne allergen, etc.  Feeding babies is trial and error.  I gave my kid pierogies and a bite of chili today-don't beat yourself up over it.

I had hives for about 6 months and none of the drs could figure out the reason, they were just gone one day.  Some days I would wake up and my torso would look like a leopard.  

Baby Boy born still on March 10, 2008 at 21 wks 2 days : ( Finley Alyse born October 11, 2009 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Declan Jonathan born October 16, 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It doesn't really look like a hive (especially if it's not raised) or a bug bite either.  It almost looks like he got pinched by something.
  • Options
    Liss_37Liss_37 member

how does it feel? was it a bit rough to the touch?

occasionally DS gets tiny patches like that and they feel really rough, i put some organic lotion on them and they're gone within a few hours.. He has really sensitive skin though

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Options

DD got hives from heat.  They were gone within 30 mins once I got her in the AC.  Her's were raised, tho.  That looks like a pinch or something to me. 

• Options
    my LO has that too and i'm pretty sure it's from the heat.. he does have bad eczema so it might have just got enflamed.  I would see how it is tomorrow and in the mean time make sure his PJ's are 100% cotton and make sure it's not too hot in your house. 
  • Options
    Thanks girls. We are in the south where it's blazing hot and after the restaurant, we went to one store so it's possible it could be from the heat but I don't know. I'm waiting to hear back from the on call nurse because my nervousness is getting the best of me. Hives or not, that is the LAST time I give him any "adult" for awhile, that's for sure.

• Options

IDK what it is on your LO, but my dd gets orange splotches when she's out in the heat.

And... what's the issue with garlic? (Seriously asking- I don't get why you'd be flamed for garlic...)

• Options
    kit443kit443 member
    Food reaction hives usually occur around the mouth. I highly doubt that those two red splotches are from the garlic mashed potatoes (which I see no problem in giving a taste). He could have gotten pinched or something was irritating the skin - who knows. Keep an eye on it. I bet it will be gone by the morning. Don't freak out.
  • Options
    imageHeather1979:

IDK what it is on your LO, but my dd gets orange splotches when she's out in the heat.

And... what's the issue with garlic? (Seriously asking- I don't get why you'd be flamed for garlic...)

There is no issue with the garlic itself, I just assumed I would get flamed for letting him have some "adult" food.

• Options
    imageGreenEyedGal:
    imageHeather1979:

There is no issue with the garlic itself, I just assumed I would get flamed for letting him have some "adult" food.

Pffft. I saute chicken in garlic before I process it for her. I would love to do mashed potatoes but she hates anything that isn't super pureed right now.

• Options

It doesn't look like hives and even if it were I doubt it would be from the potatoes. 

• Options

Could be ring worm since they're so circluar. A gf of mine's DS got it the other week and he has 2 circles in the same area. Easy to treat with a presc cream.

• Options
    Doesn't look like hives to me and if they are, I doubt it would be from the potatoes or the garlic.  Could he have scratched or pinched himself or somehow been pinched slightly by something (maybe the buckle on a shopping cart if you had him in one of those)?  Were either of you holding him for a long period of time where maybe his skin was pressed up against your clothing, like a button or something, and it made a mark?  It doesn't seem like anything serious, however, I am not a doctor and you can only tell so much from a photo.
    imageimage
  • Options
    To me, both those marks look A LOT like the little silver snaps on his jammies there.  Was he laying on his belly or anything to cause pressure? Haha I may be wrong but dont they look like the snaps?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    it looks like a heat rash to me....I'm in the South as well, and DS has started getting those occasionally on his belly and/or back.  they're gone almost as soon as I get him cooled off, though.
  • Options
    how is it today? good observation to whoever said it could be from the snaps on the pj's, it does look like that could've done it. my lo had hives before but they didn't look like that and they were all over his legs- for 4 days. hope it's gone whatever it is! 
  • Options
    I am almost certain that it was not the mashed potatoes. It was probably the heat or something like that. I don't think it's really worthly of call to the Dr unless it gets worse or doesn't go away. I hope it's better today.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"