Indiana Babies

1st Birthday

I know it's a while away yet for our LO but what kind of food did you all serve at their 1st birthday parties? We were thinking of doing a 2 in the afternoon on a Saturday get together with family mostly and a few friends. We'll have an awesome cake :) but I have no idea what else to serve.

Oh yeah, it'll be in the fall and "owl" theme, R has loved owls since he was born. It's the perfect fit because he was born in October, his name is Rowan and Rowan University's mascot is an owl! (Plus his room is already woodland themed with owls everywhere...) so yeah, any owl/nature themed foods are good too!

TIA 

Re: 1st Birthday

• I would just serve a bunch of appitizers. 1st birthdays are usually mostly adults anyway.  Not sure on nature themed.
  • amstepamstep member

I once made a cheeseball that we covered with whole almonds to make it look like a pinecone.  The bonus is that the low carb crowd didn't have to use crackers, they used the almonds to dip.  It was a big hit.  Google it to see if you can get pictures of one.  I just winged it (wung it?), but I'm sure you could make it even prettier.

Um, nature themed?  Maybe google Christmas stuff, since everything that I can think of is actually a christmas dessert.  Like that candy you make with those chinese noodles and butterscotch that looks like little branches?  

Parents magazine a couple of months ago had a great section on different birthday themes.  I really think they had an owl or a forest theme.

The other snack is Ants on a Log.  Basically raisins on peanut butter stuffed celery.  

Sorry, I'm not being very much help!!!

Oh, and if you are having it in October I always love spiced cider punch!

ETA:  this LINK to the pinecone cheese ball recipe/pic

• Loading the player...
  • amstepamstep member
    Check out these adorable Owl cupcakes!  OMG I'm in love!!!
  • We kept it simple...pizza and cake.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • thanks!! Love the pinecone cheese ball idea! And yes, it will mainly adults but I'd like fun appetizers... even though it's for a baby it gives me a reason to make up a bunch of fun recipes :).
  • lemen99lemen99 member
    I don't even remember what we did (fail!) but I agree with keeping it simple!  I would also keep the time short - ours was only a couple of hours but Andrew wasn't on a nap schedule yet and he was a mess!
  • I had to cook all weekend for my family being in town and staying at our house.  I did chili in the crockpot and it was easy!
  • Ellie's party was owl themed and all the food was owl related.  I'll be more than happy to share pics when my sister finally gives them to me!  I'll share the recipes too.  :)
  • thank you!! I remember you saying it was owl themed too. I've found a lot of cute things for decorations and such online but not too many recipes. I'd appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"