Baby Names

Isla?

I heard the name Isla  for a girl and love it.. What are your thoughts love it or hate it? 

Re: Isla?

• How do you pronounce it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Shell24Shell24 member
    LOVE it.  Great choice!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not a fan.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • I really like it!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Angel Baby: 5/29/08

• imagemj.reilly:

Love it!

(And seriously, how do people not know how to pronounce it by now!)

Eye-la , like island

Apparently I seriously did not.

• I was have thought Eas-la. 

but apparently I seriously didn't know either.  

Not all words spelled alike are pronounced alike.  

Earth

Heart

Ear

THREE words with EAR in it and none sound alike.  Don't be so snooty mjreily. 

• Also... very popular right now.  I see it mentioned on here daily.  Will likely be top 10 by next years listings. 

It's Sasha Baron Cohen's wifes name, and that's where first saw it.  She was the redhead in Wedding Crashers. 

• i like it ok, but wow, i have a friend on facebook whose dd is names Isla and I have always thought it was pronounced ees-la (like you'd pronounce it in spanish)

TTC #1 4/09-3/10, dx PCOS, 5th round clomid BFP 3/27/10, Nolan Lee, 11/13/10, PROM 36 weeks
    TTC #2 6/12-3/13, natural BFP 3/24/13, TWINS
    MC first twin at 11weeks, MC/preterm labor second twin, DD at 15weeks, 6/7/13
    BFP 9/21/13, EDD 6/5/13!!  It's a GIRL

SHE'S HERE!  Scarlett Christine, 5/19/14

• It's ok, I see it mentioned a lot.  And as for pronounciation, people pronounce all sorts of things oddly.  I actually like the name Ayla, which I pronounce like eye-la, and how most people would pronounce Isla.  However, if I was told that it should be pronoucned A-lah, as it could be- I've only seen it in the baby name book- I wouldn't like it any longer.  I think some people will definitely say it as Is-la. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagecollegecouple:
    It's ok, I see it mentioned a lot.  And as for pronounciation, people pronounce all sorts of things oddly.  I actually like the name Ayla, which I pronounce like eye-la, and how most people would pronounce Isla.  However, if I was told that it should be pronoucned A-lah, as it could be- I've only seen it in the baby name book- I wouldn't like it any longer.  I think some people will definitely say it as Is-la. 

my friend Ayla pronounces it AY-lah  (with a long a as in Kayla)

I don't mind Isla, it's kinda cute 

• My DH loves the name Isla... My only issue is that I'm worried it will constantly be mispronounced... And they will be forever correcting people!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I love the name!  If this babe is a girl (find out later today!), her name will be Isla.  It is mentioned around here a lot, however I disagree that it will be top 10 next year.  It was #346 last year. 
    My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCarilyn:
    I love the name!  If this babe is a girl (find out later today!), her name will be Isla.  It is mentioned around here a lot, however I disagree that it will be top 10 next year.  It was #346 last year. 

I agree here.  There is no way that a name will jump from 346 to top 10 in one year.  Isla is a beautiful and classic name.

• It's pretty.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• It screams girly to me! I really like it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageCamok87:
    My DH loves the name Isla... My only issue is that I'm worried it will constantly be mispronounced... And they will be forever correcting people!

I don't think this is a concern as this name seems to be climbing the popularity charts and soon most people will know how to pronounce it (do you pronounce Sean like "seen"?)  

I think it's such a beautiful name but will be overly used in the coming years, taking its appeal away, for me. 

• NMS
    BFP- 08/10/07 M/C- 08/31/07 7wks 6 days BFP- 8/13/10 Audrey 4/26/11 BFP- 10/20/12 M/C- 10/24/12 4wks 2 days
  • No everyone pronounces it Eye-la. Like I said yesterday, I know a girl who is about 9 and her name is Isla, her family is from Brazil and they pronounce it "Eas-la". I think it's like all those Ana names where people pronounce it differently depending on where they're from/who they are.
  • imagemj.reilly:
    imageEmjay221:

I was have thought Eas-la. 

Earth

Heart

Ear

Do to popularity the pronunciation should be known by now. This name is mentioned daily.

No where did I say "all words spelled alike are pronounced alike." I just mentioned that it sounds like island. Get a grip, there is no need to freak out Emjay221.

I think you mean "DUE to the popularity"...seriously HOW do you not know how to spell that? See? We're not all perfect.

• imagemj.reilly:
    imageEmjay221:

I was have thought Eas-la. 

Earth

Heart

Ear

Do to popularity the pronunciation should be known by now. This name is mentioned daily.

No where did I say "all words spelled alike are pronounced alike." I just mentioned that it sounds like island. Get a grip, there is no need to freak out Emjay221.

That wasn't even close to a freak out.   However, just because people type the word daily, doesn't mean they know how to pronounce it.  Also, she obviously hasn't seen it here everyday or she likely wouldn't have asked. 

Personally, I think it's a bandwagon name.  It will have it's moment in the sun, and be gone.  You'll have a bunch of kids being calls Isla the eyeball, or whatever. 

I don't like it, but good luck anyway.  It's not a bad name, just not my style. 

• On first reading, since I haven't met anyone with the name and only run across the word in Spanish place names, I'd pronounce it like the Spanish word for island (Ease-la).  Now that I know I was wrong, I'd say it correctly, as I'm sure anyone else would once they "know better" (so I don't think mispronunciation is a huge issue).

I like the sound of it, personally.

• I love it.
  • I love it!
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • imagekelclay724:
    No everyone pronounces it Eye-la. Like I said yesterday, I know a girl who is about 9 and her name is Isla, her family is from Brazil and they pronounce it "Eas-la". I think it's like all those Ana names where people pronounce it differently depending on where they're from/who they are.

Well according to MJReily... 

imagemj.reilly:

Love it!

(And seriously, how do people not know how to pronounce it by now!) << do to popularity, not similarity to island. This name is mentioned daily!

Eye-la , like island

So.... apparently someone does pronounce it like that, and she expects that we all know to pronounce it the same.  Whatever.  It's too common anymore anyway.  

• love it!
  • Love it. Paradise
  • I like it but I bet most people won't know how to pronounce it.
  • When a name is 346 in popularity it is certainly not common. And names that are mentioned on the bump don't dictate real world popularity.

I love Isla. The traditional Scottish pronunciation is Eye-la. I am certain some people say Eas-la. But that is not the 'norm' for this name.

• I love it! :)

But just to let you know, it's was one of the fastest growing names in popularity for 2009. (from the SSA)

https://bit.ly/cc4j0b

• imagemj.reilly:

Love it!

(And seriously, how do people not know how to pronounce it by now!) << do to popularity, not similarity to island. This name is mentioned daily!

Eye-la , like island

I see IS-LA 

Better spelling would be Ayla. 

• Absolutely love it! 
  • imagelovemytwoboys:
    I'm not a fan.

It's pretty, but maybe too different.  It would be hard if people didn't know how to pronounce it. 

• imagelovemytwoboys:
    I'm not a fan.

It's pretty, but maybe too different.  It would be hard if people didn't know how to pronounce it. 

• imagelovemytwoboys:
    I'm not a fan.

• imagelovemytwoboys:
    I'm not a fan.

• imagelovemytwoboys:
    I'm not a fan.

• imagelovemytwoboys:
    I'm not a fan.

• imagelovemytwoboys:
    I'm not a fan.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"