Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Vent: My baby has a famers tan!

My dad babysat DD for a few hours on Friday.  I asked him to lather her up with a ton of sun screen if they went outside.  (as well as put on her hat).  I told him that if he thought that she had enough on, put more, just to be safe. 

I didn't really notice anything that day but Saturday I noticed that my baby has a flipping farmers tan!  He obviously didn't put enough on her becuase she has never gotten a bit of color when I put it on her.  I understand that he's a Grandpa and not as concerned about her exposure to sun as I am, but I have really sensitive skin and I do not want my baby to burn. 

I guess I should just be happy that it was a "tan" and not a burn and that was the only issue we had.

Re: Vent: My baby has a famers tan!

• Options
    be thankful it was a tan...and it wasnt a burn on her poor face, at least he must have listened about the hat!
  • Options
    Yea, atleast it wasn't a burn. DD has a bit of a farmer's tan also.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    (Mom of two boys with farmer tans slinks out of this thread.)
  • Options
    If I was a person who tanned and didn't burn right away, I wouldn't be as concerned, but I just worry DD will have my skin and burn easily!  SIL's little girl tans even with sunscreen on.  She uses SPF 50 and the kid is tanner than I have ever been.
  • Options

I would be bummed too.  "Tanned" skin is still damaged skin!  A baby should never be tan.  Accidents happen, but as a rule, their skin should be protected at all times.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I put 55 on DS and he has a farmers tan
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    eesomeeesome member
    Like you said-- at least it was just a tan. The younger the skin = easier to tan (regardless of sunscreen). 
    Glad she didn't burn!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My dermatologist, the same one who also sees my father and grandfather and has removed quite a few skin cancers from both of them so he knows my skin type and history WELL, says that some sun is good for people, it is important to get some sun without sunscreen (or with a low level sunscreen) to get enough vitamin D.  He said that so many people are scared to death of the sun because of skin damage/cancers that they are seeing A LOT of issues popping up due to lack of vitamin D that are much worse than what would happen with a little sun.

I am VERY fair, and DS has my skin, but I try to make sure to take him out for several minutes (at least 30) everyday without sunscreen.  

• Options
    trizzietrizzie member
    I slather 50 spf on DS and he has a slight tan.  I think he has my skin - I have always tanned easily, even with sunscreen.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    imageMeanMommyLady:

My dermatologist, the same one who also sees my father and grandfather and has removed quite a few skin cancers from both of them so he knows my skin type and history WELL, says that some sun is good for people, it is important to get some sun without sunscreen (or with a low level sunscreen) to get enough vitamin D.  He said that so many people are scared to death of the sun because of skin damage/cancers that they are seeing A LOT of issues popping up due to lack of vitamin D that are much worse than what would happen with a little sun.

I am VERY fair, and DS has my skin, but I try to make sure to take him out for several minutes (at least 30) everyday without sunscreen.  

I've heard this too.  Oddly enough, I know 2 people who got really sick from Vit. D deficiency.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"