Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

xp: pls help! doing something wrong with naps @ 1yr :(

lately morning nap is great, but afternoon nap is getting worse and worse.  takes a long time for them to get to sleep.  too much crying. 

wake-up is 7am.  first nap is 9:30 till 11 or 11:30.  second nap is 1:30.

i'm sort of ruling out teething as morning nap is good, and it doesn't seem to matter if i've given motrin or not.   

should i move afternoon later?  or cut morning nap shorter (how short?) so they're tired at 1:30?  there is no way they are ready for 1 nap! 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: xp: pls help! doing something wrong with naps @ 1yr :(

• Options

Maybe try moving their naps later? Before DS turned a year old, he was going down for his first nap around 9 or 9:30 and the time of his PM nap varied. As he got older, he started going down for his morning nap later, around 10/10:30 a.m. His first nap was 1.5 - 2 hours and his second nap in the afternoon (normally around 3/3:30 p.m.) about 45 minutes - an hour.

At 17-18 months, he dropped his second nap. I could tell he was ready because he would just talk to himself the entire time he was in there and not nap. He goes down for his nap between 11:00 and 11:30 a.m. (depending on what time he woke up that day) and sleeps for 2-3 hours. He goes to bed between 8/8:30 p.m.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    janjagjanjag member
    imageWifeofaMarine:

Maybe try moving their naps later? Before DS turned a year old, he was going down for his first nap around 9 or 9:30 and the time of his PM nap varied. As he got older, he started going down for his morning nap later, around 10/10:30 a.m. His first nap was 1.5 - 2 hours and his second nap in the afternoon (normally around 3/3:30 p.m.) about 45 minutes - an hour.

At 17-18 months, he dropped his second nap. I could tell he was ready because he would just talk to himself the entire time he was in there and not nap. He goes down for his nap between 11:00 and 11:30 a.m. (depending on what time he woke up that day) and sleeps for 2-3 hours. He goes to bed between 8/8:30 p.m.

so, for you moving AM nap later was part of a gentle transition to drop the 2nd nap?  thank you - i hadn't even thought of that as an option. 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *Bre**Bre* member
    we dropped the morning nap altogether at that age and now he takes a 3 hr nap from 2-5,but my DS is almost 2 and sometimes doesn't nap at all.
  • Options
    I'd start moving the naps together by cutting the morning one short or even trying to skip it. 
  • Options

I would try either cutting out the morning nap and moving up the afternoon nap or pushing the afternoon nap back about an hour

• Options
    try moving the morning nap later and later untill it actually turns into the afternoon nap....im lucky if avery sleeps for 30 min in the after noon but shes not much of a napper
  • Options

DS went down to one nap around 11 months...due to the same type of situation. I felt if he wasn't tired enough for both naps, it was time to consolidate.

• Options
    Jen748Jen748 member
    DD goes down at 10 and 2 at home but takes one nap at daycare. Maybe try moving the second nap later since they have only been up for 2-2.5 hours in between naps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"