D.C. Area Babies
Options

pumping for freezer stash ?

DS is 7 weeks and I'm trying to establish a freezer stash for when I go back to work in a month or two.  I pump the second boob after feeding him and during naps when he would normally be feeding.  During a 20 minute pumping session while he's napping I'm only pumping 1 oz from each side (I have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced maxed out).  At this rate I'll never establish an adequate freezer stash and be able to maintain him being on BM while I'm at work.  He takes in anywhere between 4-6 oz during my weigh and feed sessions at the hospital. 

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  I thought if I pumped when he was supposed to be eating I'd be getting alot more.

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: pumping for freezer stash ?

• Options

1-2 oz is a totally normal amount to get between nursing sessions, so don't sweat that. An "adequate" freezer supply is totally subjective - a lot of people just pump enough for the next day and never even use their's. I know you've posted before about regulating oversupply issues - if I were you, I wouldn't worry to much about building a freezer stash, because pumping more than you really need to could make things more difficult.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I also found that pumping about an hour after the first feeding of the morning produces much more than in between other sessions in the day.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageeeclem:

1-2 oz is a totally normal amount to get between nursing sessions, so don't sweat that. An "adequate" freezer supply is totally subjective - a lot of people just pump enough for the next day and never even use their's. I know you've posted before about regulating oversupply issues - if I were you, I wouldn't worry to much about building a freezer stash, because pumping more than you really need to could make things more difficult.

This.  I worried about creating a freezer stash too, but I have found that has not been that critical.  Going back to work I had maybe 20 ounces in the freezer.  I pump twice a day at work and then once at night and that provides enough for the next day.  Some days I pump a few extra ounces or sometimes DD doesn't finish all of her milk and then I usually pump in the evenings during the weekend, so with all of that I have built my freezer supply up, but it's still not a massive supply.  I do integrate the frozen milk into the milk I send to day care just to make sure that I don't end up with a lot of old milk I can't use.  I use the freezer back up on days when I might miss a pumping session for whatever reason and need the extra milk...or for times when I am going to be away from DD at odd times--like when DH and I went away for a night.

I think the biggest thing is not to stress too much about it and trust that you'll produce enough...especially if you haven't had supply issues up to this point.

GL!

• Options

Strive to have 2-3 days worth of BM for him for the 1st few days of work. Once you are working and pumping every 3 hrs, you should be able to make enough for him.

I always got the most out of the 1st morning's pump. I'd BF DD around 6:30am and then pump at 8am and get more at that 8am session than I did at the 11am and 2pm combined!

you'll be fine!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"