Secondary IF
Options

OPKs after trigger shot....

Ok, don't make fun of me, but I have been taking OPKs daily for a few days now (as I do every cycle) and didn't stop even after I took the trigger shot yesterday.  I had heard and read that the trigger causes positive OPKs and that there is no use to take them, but I did anyway.  My main reason for this was because I really really wanted to see a nice positive OPK.  Call me crazy.

Anyway, here is the thing.............they are still very very negative.  How is that even possible 36 hours after the trigger?  Is it possible for a trigger shot to not work?  How am I supposed to know if I really did ovulate?  The office just told me that it would force me to ovulate and if I had not gotten AF 14 days from Monday (48 hours after my trigger), to take an HPT.

Any ideas here? I can call and ask on Tuesday........but figured I'd see if anyone here has encountered this before.

TIA!

Re: OPKs after trigger shot....

• Options
    I'm not sure about this but I am very very very curious as to the answer. I know some people's kidney functions in a way that they'll NEVER get a + OPK but I'm interested in what your RE has to say. I've admittedly never taken OPKs after a trigger.
  • Options

Hmm I know you can get a positive pregnancy test since it measures HCG and basically a trigger shot is HCG. I believe the OPK measures a different hormone (i'm tired and dont remember which one) so I do not think the OPK would be positive unless your body had a signifigant amount of that hormone, not the HCG from the trigger. Make sense?

I could very well be wrong, but my theory makes sense to me. Lol. I don't think a negative OPK is indicative of no O. I think for it to be concluded there is no O they would have to do blood work and u/s. Good luck and let me know what you find out!

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    H4M - I think you've gotten it!

OPK measures LH and they reason they use HCG instead of LH synthetic is because the LH = SO SO SO expensive and HCG is bio-chemically the exact same except it has one extra binder on it that you body ignores in such high volume.

I knew this information but had to think it out.
  • Options

Yes, I was tired last night but I thought I was along the right lines. Thank you for clarifying/verifying =) 

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"