Babies: 9 - 12 Months

What does the flag on your mailbox mean? clicky

I think we must have gotten a new mail carrier because all of a sudden the flag seems to mean something other than what it always has in the past.  I'm wondering if maybe it's a regional thing?

So what does it mean to you? 

[Poll]
imageimage

Re: What does the flag on your mailbox mean? clicky

• It means there's outgoing mail for the carrier. Otherwise if we have no incoming mail and the flags not up the carrier wont stop.
  • I have always known it to mean one thing, there is outgoing mail that needs to be picked up. BTW we are in Texas. 

Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekrstokes:
    It means there's outgoing mail for the carrier. Otherwise if we have no incoming mail and the flags not up the carrier wont stop.

Wow, I've never lived somewhere where the mail person would pick up our mail for us!  We also don't have flags on our mailboxes around here!  That sounds so  convenient!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely outgoing for the mail person to pick up.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• imagepenguingrrl:

imagekrstokes:
    It means there's outgoing mail for the carrier. Otherwise if we have no incoming mail and the flags not up the carrier wont stop.

Wow, I've never lived somewhere where the mail person would pick up our mail for us!  We also don't have flags on our mailboxes around here!  That sounds so  convenient!

???

this is so weird! wth do they do? just bring incoming mail? do you have to go to the PO to mail stuff? i'm intrigued.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Missouri, it means that there's mail to be picked up. 

However, in NJ, I'm not sure...I've always just gone to the post office to drop it off or mailed it from work.  I'll ask my husband when he gets home.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In NJ its mail to be picked up.  I use it when I have stuff and miss DH but am not going near the post office. 
  • imagettmccoot:
    imagepenguingrrl:

imagekrstokes:

???

this is so weird! wth do they do? just bring incoming mail? do you have to go to the PO to mail stuff? i'm intrigued.

She's in NYC usually you have a mail room or lock boxes in the lobby of the building for incoming.  Packages are left w/the doorman or by the mailboxes in a non-doorman building.  Outgoing mail goes to the post office or a drop box.

• Ok so it sounds like our new mail carrier is a little confused then.  He/she keeps raising the flag every time there's new mail.
    imageimage

• imagerobbie3982:
    Ok so it sounds like our new mail carrier is a little confused then.  He/she keeps raising the flag every time there's new mail.

LOL.  That's kind of funny. 

• I don't think it's a regional thing, I think your carrier is just weird.  :)  I moved around a lot for work - 7 towns in three states, and it was always the same thing. 

Flag up means that there's mail for the carrier to pick up.  The reason it's there is so that in case you don't have any mail that day, they still stop to pick up. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagepenguingrrl:

imagekrstokes:

I have always lived in a place with the flag, but we live in a place without a flag now and the mailman does not pick up our mail for us. I miss it!

• imagejonsdeedee:
    imagettmccoot:
    imagepenguingrrl:

imagekrstokes:

huh. interesting.

???

She's in NYC usually you have a mail room or lock boxes in the lobby of the building for incoming.  Packages are left w/the doorman or by the mailboxes in a non-doorman building.  Outgoing mail goes to the post office or a drop box.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagepenguingrrl:

imagekrstokes:

Yea we moved to Pittsburgh and they dont take our mail....it is soooooo annoying.  There isnt even a drop box to be found anywhere.  I have to go all the way to the post office and inside even to send mail out.  I cant believe there are no drop boxes....its stupid.  And such a hassel to have to unstrap DS take him in drop off 2 things and then have to restrap him into the car!

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejustme04:
    imagepenguingrrl:

imagekrstokes:

Yea we moved to Pittsburgh and they dont take our mail....it is soooooo annoying.  There isnt even a drop box to be found anywhere.  I have to go all the way to the post office and inside even to send mail out.  I cant believe there are no drop boxes....its stupid.  And such a hassel to have to unstrap DS take him in drop off 2 things and then have to restrap him into the car!

That's where we are!  It sounds like you're downtown though and we're in the burbs. 

imageimage

• imagekrstokes:

this..

Baby girl #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live near you and it most certainly means to pick-up OUTGOING mail.  I'm pretty sure this is a national thing, not just regional.  It doesn't make sense to do it any other way.
  • So do you guys not have mailboxes on the corner that people put their mail into?

We don't get our mail to our house. We have community mailboxes on the street where we go to get our mail.

• imageJen&Joe06:

So do you guys not have mailboxes on the corner that people put their mail into?

We don't get our mail to our house. We have community mailboxes on the street where we go to get our mail.

I have a mailbox at the end of my driveway.  To be exact, we have this one. You put the flag up for outgoing mail, then the mail carrier leaves incoming mail.  If you don't have the flag up they just leave your incoming mail if there is any.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"