D.C. Area Babies
Options

WWYD-travel with a toddler

A good friend of mine is getting married in Paris.  My folks live in Florida and my mom offered to watch my son when we go to the wedding.  DH and I met in Paris and it would be great to have a romantic getaway just the two of us.  However, I've never left DS over night.  Because my folks live in Florida, he doesn't know them very well.  We'd be gone for a week and it seems like a really long time to leave him.  Plus, it might be fun to show him Paris.  Am I nuts for thinking about taking him?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD-travel with a toddler

• Options
    Part of my answer comes from the fact that I am totally jealous of the people who have parents who volunteer to watch the kiddos- I would ask your parents to come a few days before you leave so DS can get use to them and then enjoy the time in Paris with your DH.
  • Options

imagevictoria1212:
    Part of my answer comes from the fact that I am totally jealous of the people who have parents who volunteer to watch the kiddos- I would ask your parents to come a few days before you leave so DS can get use to them and then enjoy the time in Paris with your DH.

This.  I take any and all opportunities like this one.  I appreciate you wanting to show DS Paris, but he won't really remember it anyway and you'll appreciate the time away with DH.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

would your Mom come to you or would you have to take DS to FL? If your parents can come to your house and stay a few days before you leave, you should do that. He'll be more comfortable in his home environment, you can show her the ropes, routine, etc.

We left DD for a week w/ my parents (whom she sees all the time and whose house she's very used to) when she was 11mo old. It was hard to miss her and to know she asked for me but she was fine and we had a great time. Every couple can use some "alone" time and you can show Paris to your son when he's older so he can remember it and appreciate it. Plus, what would you do with him while attending all the wedding events?

• Options
    My mom wouldn't be coming to our house.  We'd have to take him there.  We'd probably stay a day or so with him while he adjusted and then fly out of Florida.
  • Options

If you take him there, can you spend more than a day or two in FL to get him adjusted?

And, because you asked WWYD, I would NOT take kiddo to Paris.  But that's just me.  A week alone with my DH?  What a luxury! 

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

I would take him to Paris.  But then again, I've already taken BabyCrown to LA twice, NYC, Philly, and we're going to Vancouver for a week next month.  And Vancouver will be the first time I'm traveling with the help of DH.  But I'm also a freak in that I won't leave my baby with anyone overnight.

FWIW, friends of mine in NYC have brought their not yet year-old baby with them to the Netherlands a few times already (daddy is Dutch).

• Options
    I haven't traveled that far with a toddler, but my friends took their 18-month-old to Spain for 2 weeks in the summer and it went well.  I'm thinking the biggest hurdle will be the time change.
  • Options
    mzovocemzovoce member
    We plan on taking our child to Paris once a year, especially since his/her Parrain lives there. My cousin lives there and has a toddler and an infant, I can email her if you decide to take him and get some activity recommendations. I fully plan on using her experiences in the near future.
  • Options
    imageArtslvr:

If you take him there, can you spend more than a day or two in FL to get him adjusted?

And, because you asked WWYD, I would NOT take kiddo to Paris.  But that's just me.  A week alone with my DH?  What a luxury! 

yup, this.  if i had the opportunity to run...er....i mean go....i'd GO.  far away.  ; ) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"