2nd Trimester

Does your nursery have a "theme"

What is this theme business and why is it that everyone insists that a nursery must have a theme? Is it that hard to believe that no, my nursery doesn't have a theme other than "girly, cute"?

Re: Does your nursery have a "theme"

• Mine won't have a "theme" per se, more like a color scheme.  I don't think it's necessary.  What the heck does the baby know, anyway?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of themes, so mine will not be having one.

As long as everything flows and works together, I am fine.

• Loading the player...
  • I know right?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't worry about it.  My nursery doesn't have a theme unless you consider a color scheme a theme.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am not into the whole theme thing, either. DH and I plan on purchasing all of the nursery furniture and decor ourselves, so hopefully we won't run into any issues with relatives pushing Winnie the Pooh or Sesame Street on us. Otherwise, I might be offering up sexual favors to BRU clerks, right Octoberbride? ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • toyah81toyah81 member
    Yeah, we have a color scheme because why wouldn't you want things to match, but there's no character theme or anything. DD and LO are sharing a room for awhile so I had to have the patterns at least flow with each other.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ougrad1ougrad1 member
    You can use the colors you've chosen as your "theme".   We're doing pink on one crib and blue on the other with chocolate brown and tan paint and accents.  That's our theme.
  • My DD's room was going to be "sea animals" but then everyone assumed we were doing farm animals because we have a farm so then we have a mix of everything and ended up with a color scheme of blue and greens and yellows (yes, she's a girl, but we aren't into girly stuff, at all).  All of the furniture is white. Its actually much better looking than I planned, when the room is clean Stick out tongue and clothes aren't hanging all over the place.
  • I like co-ordination, but a theme isn't 100% necessary.  DH hates themes, because he thinks babies grow into independent children too quickly and will want what they want, so what's the point in forking out a boat load of money on what we think a baby, who won't even notice it, will want.
  • Jeane_PJeane_P member
    imageLizzie65:

I wouldn't worry about it.  My nursery doesn't have a theme unless you consider a color scheme a theme.

This! Everyone keeps asking me what the theme is.  Her bedding has dragonflies on it so I say "I don't know I guess insects"  I usually get the side eye look :) 

• DD doesnt have a theme for her room. Nothing really matches at all, but its still cute.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are putting this baby in DD's room.  We were team green with her as well, so it is just fine.  As I posted below, I really wanted Dr. Seuss but couldn't find it anywhere back then.  Anyway, I found a real cool stripe and polka dot bedding set from babystyle.  I pulled from there and went with orange and lime green, adding in some animals.  No theme so to say...just bright and cheery!  I didn't want pastels at all. 
  • skyejoskyejo member
    No theme for me, other than cute and pink!
  • I'm not a theme kind of girl.  DD's nursery was just nice solids and textures.  This one I have no idea what I am doing.  Right now I'm an unwilling Team Green member.
  • toyah81toyah81 member

imageDaniLovesPink:
    I like co-ordination, but a theme isn't 100% necessary.  DH hates themes, because he thinks babies grow into independent children too quickly and will want what they want, so what's the point in forking out a boat load of money on what we think a baby, who won't even notice it, will want.

But I don't think anyone chooses their baby room decor on what they think the baby wants.... It's 100% about what the parents want the room to look like, right? I'm not against or for themes by the way, I'm more of "If I see something I like, I will buy it and decorate with it"

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't have a theme, just a color scheme of pink, brown and white.  I've also got a few things with polka dots, stripes, etc. but no theme like Pooh or butterflies.  I think it's something she can grow into and I won't have to worry about changing in a few years down the road when she is no longer into Disney characters, etc.
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • kjg5445kjg5445 member
    we are doing a theme because its just my husbands personality. its kinda a 'gone fishin' type of thing. its nothing like i found a bedding for and fell in love and had to do it... we just want to keep it simple and thought it would be neat to have a little 'outdoorsy' baby room vs. all of the super themed rooms i've come across. we will just be adding some lil fishin poles and outdoorsy themed lements to his room. nothing major =)

• the room Chotz is going into is already baby blue (we aren't going to change).  I recently bought a pretty painting of a koi pond that I adore.  So, there will be that painting, white curtains with green or burnt red accent/ribbon or something, and some sort of koi decal near the crib.  bedding might end up just being plain white with maybe a green bumper/skirt, and maybe something else in a reddish-orange fabric.  this is all in my head and subject to change.
  • No theme, I just have colors in mind (pink/green for girl and blue/green for boy). 
  • RyleighRyleigh member

I don't like overly done themes.  For example... Winnie the Pooh bedding, Winnie the Pooh drapes, Winnie the Pooh wall decals, Winnie the Pooh lamp shades, and the list goes on.  Actually Winnie the Pooh anything for that matter.  I guess we are the same boat with this one.  ;)

That being said... DS's bedroom has a vintage transportation theme per se.  However, his bedding is just a madras plaid, curtains are beige.  I believe in dressing a room up with decorations that are not all matchy.  I think I watch too much HGTV!!

• we do have a theme but its not OVERLY done i don't think (as far as noteverything in the room will be animals) but its the baby coco stuff from babies r us...so i guess the theme would be safari, or baby jungle animals? lol
    1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
    IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
    IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
    March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!
  • BeachMBeachM member

Our nursery will be beachy, but we're not doing themed bedding.  My mom is making the crib skirt, bumper, and wall hanging rather than me buying a set where everything is the same fabric.  Most of the art in the room will be beachy art we already own.  For example, DH is a really good photographer and is framing pictures from beach vacations we've taken.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We don't really have a "theme" either.  We are going with the Vintage Mickey Mouse bedding (I know you hate children's characters) but we aren't going all out with wall decorations, curtains, diaper stacker, etc. I don't want it to look like Mickey threw up in there.

We actually found this really amazing would carvings of vintage cars and we are going to get several of those for wall art and the curtains will just be curtains.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "The Lorax" (The Dr. Suess book)

• rlyttlerlyttle member
    We are doing the JUNGLE theme, but it's only the bedding and curtains. Everything else is just similar colors. It's really cute!!
  • My nursery doesn't really have a theme.  It is mainly a color scheme consisting of white and sage.
  • imageslwhatley:
    We aren't intentionally doing a "theme" in our room, but the bedding is from PBKids and it has firetrucks on it. It was much harder to choose random fabrics to pull together in a boys room. Everything was either far too contemporary and geometric or too frilly for a boy. If I was doing a girl's room I definitely would've gone with a pattern, probably a toile.

I love the firetruck bedding, in person it has such a vintage charm. Plus it will look fabulous with the custom prints we're having made and his gingham glider. Decorating is so much fun!
    Would you mind sharing a picture of your bedding? I would love to see it!
  • I've been trying to avoid a "theme" for the nursery. We're team green, and already decided how to paint the room (yellows & greens) when we found a cute bedding set with frogs on it. Now everyone thinks we're frog crazy and is looking for frog stuffed animals, frog lamps, artwork, etc.

I don't know how to tell them: "a regular teddy bear is fine" without offending everyone :P

• I only have a theme cause there wasn't really any neutral stuff that I liked.

• @slwhately

thats cute! Themes are only bad when they are overly done. I'm sure your nursery will be classic.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Very cute, sl!
  • my theme is cheap or free.

colors are yellow and white :)

• @slwhatley, so adorable!
    "To me, you are perfect."

• here's my theme: no animals, no overdosages of pink, and no cartoon characters....just a pretty vintage print from Target and complimenting colors and classic furniture...

nurserytheme.jpg

• @slwhatley, I love the vintage fire truck bedding, that is adorable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSammyBeeRivers:

here's my theme: no animals, no overdosages of pink, and no cartoon characters....just a pretty vintage print from Target and complimenting colors and classic furniture...

ugh! i never know how to upload images on this thing!

here's the link:https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q300/sammybee03/nurserytheme.jpg

• imageslwhatley:
    imageSammyBeeRivers:
    imageSammyBeeRivers:

here's my theme: no animals, no overdosages of pink, and no cartoon characters....just a pretty vintage print from Target and complimenting colors and classic furniture...

ugh! i never know how to upload images on this thing!

here's the link:https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q300/sammybee03/nurserytheme.jpg

Very cute! And for future reference, you just have to place the url inside this [ img ] urlgoeshere [ /img ] (without the spaces). In photobucket just choose the link that has the [ img ] brackets.

Thanks! Writing that down and keeping it next to my computer screen! 

• My hubby is a firefighter, so if it's a boy I want to do vintage firetrucks.  If its a girl pink and green paisley.

• the firefighter stuff is cute :)

Our theme (boy or girl) is going to be Noah's Ark.  But not over the top.  The room is already a beige-y brown and we're going to leave one wall that color and then repaint the rest a lighter beige, and I'm going to stencil the ark and some animals just around the border of the room.  

Since the ark = animals, any animals that show up are automatically welcome to get on the ark.  This will work for boy or girl, as I am not all girly and don't want a pink/overly feminine room, but the room can then be "dressed" more girly or boyish based on the bedding, which will work either way as the room will stay fairly neutral.

And yeah--it's about what I want.  LO has no vote.  But DH & I both love animals and the kid better get used to it now.  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"