Success after IF
Options

Hot sling vs. Moby wrap vs. Baby Bjorn

Which one do you like best for your newborn and why?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hot sling vs. Moby wrap vs. Baby Bjorn

• Options

I loved the idea of the Moby, and Henry loved it as a newborn, but it is WAY TOO FREAKING HOT to wear in the summer. I thought I was going to die. Google "woven wraps" and you will find some similar wraps made in fabrics which are more breathable.

I wouldn't do a Baby Bjorn...if you want a more structured carrier check out the Ergo, the Beco or the Pikkolo (I personally have the Pikkolo and love it for a newborn because it has an infant head support insert...now I love it because he can face outward in it).

I don't have any experience with the Hot Sling, so I can't help there. 

• Options

we loved our ergo although we didn't use it in the newborn stage, we got it when she outgrew the bjorn (or when my shoulders couldn't take the bjorn anymore) and still use it to this day with a 34lb 2yr old.

This time around I got a cotton gauze woven wrap for the newborn/summer stage and I'll switch to the ergo in the fall.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    epphdepphd member

I've used the moby a bit, but he really didn't care for it early on.  he also didn't care for the bjorn, but now that he can face outward he's great in it.  I've heard not so great things about the pressure in the crotch, but at this point I'm not sure I want to invest in yet another carrier.  I've never heard anyone complain about Ergos - had I to do it again I'd probably get one.

If I ever get some free money maybe I will ;)

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options

I have just gotten my Hotsling...haven't used it yet.

I had a Baby K'tan and sent it back...it was small on me and there was no way my DH could use it. 

If the Hotsling fails, I'm gonna bit the bullet and shell out the money on the Pikkolo...

• Options

I have a Moby and a baby bjorn carry air. The moby was great when she was a new new baby, but it is such a PITA to put on, and then it get very hot very quickly. I only used it a few times hoenstly.

now that my baby is a little bigger I bought a bjorn air carrier. I LOVE it. It super eay to get on and off, very light weight and my LO loves being in it. Its great for the grocery store and other trips out., My only complaint so far with it is that it can get a little taxing on the lower back if worn for a long time (but I also have a bad back, so it mught just be me?)

My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • Options

We have the Moby, the Maya, a Kelti pak (similar to Bjorn) and a Ergo.  I hated the Moby - It was way too hot, too difficult for me to put on myself and I thought my LO was going to sufficate or fall out.  The Maya is good for an infant but she grew out of it pretty quick.  My husband likes the Kelti pack.  I LOVE the Ergo.  

If I had to do it all over again, I would just get the Ergo for me and the Kelti for my husband. 

• Options
    I used a ring sling for my newborn but now use wraps (woven) all the time. I think it depends on whether you intend to wear for a short time or think you will want to wear for say...well a long time. Ergos and other SSCs are great for longer term. So are wraps. Moby is a stretch knit jersey so in addition to being warm it's also stretchy and at some point ceases to be supportive. DH used a borrowed/loaned bjorn but they are not comfortable long term. In fact we found it uncomfortable at about 14# (4 months). IMO for the price the bjorn is the worst deal. My honest advice is either buy used or get hands on experience before buying. We also had a hot sling that was not my right size. Didn't work for us and I sold it. But we baby wear daily. And I love it. It is totally worh finding the right carrier. Of the 3 choices you've listed moby is, I think, the right choice. But buying blind, without trying first, I'd still suggest ring sling over moby.
  • Options
    I just got a Baby Nest (similar to a K'tan) and I like it...I'm hoping it's not too hot for the summer.  My friend lent me a Hotsling to try and we are planning on getting an Ergo also.
  • Options

I loved the Moby, but it was a PITA to wrap, and so I never used it.  I don't have a hot sling, but I have a ring sling which is sort of similar, and I LOVE it.  It's amazing, and has carried my daughter now, and will carry Jack when he's born. 

Please don't buy the Bjorn.  It's bad for the baby's hips since it puts all of their weight on their crotch.

• Options

Hotsling: cool for newborn but useless after about 10 weeks.

Moby: too much of a pain and too damn hot, preferred my K'tan.  Stretchy fabric like a moby but sewn into 2 large loops making it easier to maneuver and doesn't end up wrapped around your body like a mummy so not as hot.

Bjorn: ditto pp, much prefer other carriers like the Beco.  Heck we even got a cheapo Snugli that I like more than the Bjorn that we have.

HTH,

Hannah

PS - Hands down my fav. carrier ever is the K'tan.  It was awesome when he was a little guy for cradle and chest to chest carries and now it rocks Henry's socks to be forward facing.

Hope you and C and P are doing great mama!!!!!!! 

• Options

I actually really like the Bjorn.  We have gotten a lot of miles out of that thing! 

I am okay with the Moby.  I like the idea of it - but it takes forever to get on correctly.  Paige was very comfortable in it.  We haven't use it in months, though.  Not a long-term thing to me like the Bjorn is.

Hotsling - okay too.  I didn't feel as secure being hands-free in it.  I did like it for carrying her around the house when I was putting dishes away or something. 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"